5 Important Documentaries You Haven’t Heard Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Whether you’re looking to get away from your classic “Netflix and Chill” night or searching for a flick that will really get you to think, a documentary can be a great choice for movie night. But how do you pick? Beyond the some of the better known features such as Blackfish and Supersize Me, there are many more smaller productions that are worthy of a look as well. Here I’ve compiled a list of five of the most compelling documentaries that you may not have heard of that I found both interesting and well done. Happy viewing, HCers!

Hot Girls Wanted

This film goes behind-the-scenes into the making of amateur porn and reveals some shocking truths about what life is like as a sex worker. Available for free on Netflix Streaming, this sad but true documentary follows a few girls who are recruited through Craigslist and are unknowingly sucked into the world of pornography. You can learn more about this groundbreaking feature here.

The True Cost

Another eye-opener, this documentary looks to educate the public on what goes into the making of all the cheap clothes we see here in America. With footage showing the realities behind this corrupt industry, viewers are able to see what the “true cost” of cheap clothing is on laborers, the economy, and the environment. Available for streaming on Netflix; learn more here.

Girl Model

This documentary looks into the world of modeling, specifically the recruitment of girls from small towns around the globe who are looking for an escape to a new life. Little do they know, the whole industry is corrupt and usually ends up leaving them worse-off than they were to begin with. This can be streamed on Netflix as well; learn more about it here.

Rich Hill

This film follows three boys and their families who are all struggling to make ends meet in Rich Hill, Missouri. A chilling look at the realities of “growing up poor”, this documentary sheds light on the difficulties families in poverty face and how hard it is to break the cycle. This can be streamed on Netflix; more info can be found here and here.

Bully

This documentary follows a few students who were severely bullied in their schools and how they have dealt with it. The footage shows just how cruel people can be to each other, and the tolls that bullying can take. This extremely important look into the lives of the victims of bullying can be seen on YouTube and other streaming sites, as well as on veoh.com. Learn more about the film here and here.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Hi! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in communication and nonfiction writing. This is my third year at Her Campus Pitt and my second year as the entertainment category editor! I'm also a chapter advisor this semester! I'm a pizza-loving cat mom with a chronic habit of napping from the Boston area. I enjoy spending time binge-watching netflix, snuggling, reading, writing, cooking, and hanging out with my friends. I'm looking forward to becoming increasingly involved with everything Her Campus over the remainder of the college career! Thanks for reading my articles and always feel free to contact me with feedback :)
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt