17 Millennials on What Being a 20-Something Means to Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As a college student on the verge of turning 21, I can honestly say that I feel differently about heading into my twenties than I did one year ago.  I find it funny how we always talk about our teenage years as being some of the most awkward of our lives, but I would argue that our twenties might even be more of a challenge. 20-somethings face the social scene that is making and keeping friendships, the ever-daunting struggle that is dating, and navigating our way through figuring out what we want to do with our futures.  We’re in this strange stage of life where we are expected to act as grown-ups, yet we still itch for the days where we can get away with partying too much and spending all of our money on new clothes.  We may still think we’re kids at heart, but we need to come to the realization that we’re adults now, too. 

Some of you may be in the same space I once was – where you think you’re doing everything completely wrong in life and losing sleep over it.  But what I’ve come to understand over the past year is that these are the things that make our twenties what they are.  It’s a time about learning and maybe messing up a little (or a lot) along the way.  It’s about figuring out who we are although we may not be entirely ready for anything.  It’s about overcoming the mistakes we weren’t able to get past when they occurred.  Your twenties are full of failure, heartbreak, innovation, triumph, insecurity, doubt, perspective, and complexity. Life probably doesn’t get any easier with time, but we can concern ourselves with how we’re willing to spend it.  We may not have any idea what we’re doing or we may think we know everything, but either way, it’s time to say goodbye to life-as-we-know-it and say hello to the real world. What does being in your twenties means to you?

1. “Having the freedom to make mistakes.” –Sami, 21

2. “Broke and reckless.” –Alyssa, 21

3. “Now is the time to do the things you are most afraid of.  Take risks.  Be adventurous! Even if it forces you miles out of your comfort zone.  Because when you’re in your fifties and looking back on life, you don’t want to be dwelling on the things you wish you had done.” –Lexi, 21

4. “We have to laugh at ourselves sometimes or else I don’t think we’ll make it out of our twenties alive.” –Maggie, 20

5. “Always having something to look forward to and being motivated by the unknown!” –Ali, 21

6. “Those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” –Katie, 19

7. “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.” –Jesse, 20

8. “Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway.” –Tori, 20

9. “At 20-something, you finally realize how cool you really are, how cool you’ve always been, and, consequently, you stop seeking others’ approval.  Your twenties are just about being your dope-ass self, completely and unapologetically.” –Nuria, 23

10. “#NervousButExcited” –Christine, 20

11. “Not giving a sh*t, but giving a sh*t about everything.” –Alyssa, 21

12. “Trying to prove that my age doesn’t define my responsibilities.” –Anthony, 20

13. “Thinking you have everything figured out and then starting from scratch again.” –Rebecca, 22

14. “Your twenties are the ideal time to try on your dreams for size.” –Katie, 21

15. “Having the freedom to change your mind.” –Sami, 21

16. “Your twenties are your ‘selfish’ years.  It’s a decade to immerse yourself in every single thing possible.  Be selfish with your time, and all the aspects of you.  Tinker with sh*t, travel, explore, love a lot, love a little, and never touch the ground.” –Jessie, 20

17. “It’s not an easy road; kindly disregard any comments that describe it as such. Being a woman today is tough because you have to fight for every inch. Be kind and communal, but also determined and sometimes even selfish; soft, yet hard. There will be times when you’ll just want to quit and go become some man’s quiet little housewife, giving up on whatever grand plans you had in mind. But in those moments, you have to call on your inner strength. Think of the great goals and respect you’re striving for, and also the accomplishments, self-confidence and happiness you’ve come to acquire thus far. You may not be able to see the top of the mountain from where you are now, but you have to know that it’s there, waiting for you to claim it. Press on, nothing takes the place of persistence!” -Sabrina, 26

It’s made up of crisis, avoiding responsibility, and self-exploration.  It’s unpredictable, unexpected, and constantly changing, but that’s the best part.  And most importantly, it’s about living in the moment with the right people because they are the ones who shape us into who we become.

Image credit

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt