This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

For the first 18 years of my life, I stuck to eating at the same chain restaurants found in any other city around the country. College has both helped and hindered my exploration of Pittsburgh’s restaurants. I’m now closer to the heart of my native city and its many food options, but now I am on a college student budget. If you’re a creature of habit like me and want to try something new—or are future me and forgot about the list of restaurants in your notes app—here’s a list of my favorites that have average city pricing!

The ramen bar

Perhaps my most frequented restaurant is The Ramen Bar, which combines two of my favorite things; ramen and Squirrel Hill. This is my go-to for when I want some tried-and-true comfort food—I always get the kimchi ramen and it never disappoints. They also sell green tea mochi but we make financially responsible decisions and go down the street to where it is a better deal, at Panda Supermarket (not a restaurant, but I have to mention it). 

Green pepper

You will quickly discover how much I love Korean food, especially tteokbokki, sweet-and-spicy rice cakes that are a popular Korean street food. Green Pepper completely nails all of their ratios: the perfect fish cake to tteokbokki ratio, the perfect spicy-to-sweet tteokbokki sauce ratio, and even the perfect sweet-to-savory beef bulgogi ratio, which I didn’t know was missing in my life. The overall atmosphere in Green Pepper is amazing and they give you Yakult probiotic drinks with your bill! 

everyday noodles

Everyday Noodles holds a special place in my heart because it was the first place I ever tried taro bubble tea, and remains the best I’ve ever had. The pickled cucumber appetizer is also great, but the highlight is definitely the soup dumplings—they are the perfect rainy day food and feel like a hug in food form. 

kiin lao & thai eatery

This is the last of the Squirrel Hill restaurants, all of which you should try when you’re in the area, perhaps after a movie at Manor Theater. Kiin Lao & Thai Eatery is usually louder and less ambient than other restaurants, but you can tell that everyone there is enjoying their meal as much as you are. The restaurant is on the second story, overlooking Forbes Avenue, always has the biggest portions, and makes the most delicious mango sticky rice.

noodle house

Out of all the restaurants I’ve tried in Oakland, Noodle House is definitely my favorite. If I’m ever in the mood for ramen but don’t want to leave campus (and also don’t want to make cup ramen in the microwave), this is where I’ll go. I love the spicy seafood ramen and the chicken katsu ramen but the best menu item I’ve tried is the kimchi fried rice, which I think about literally all the time. 

oishii bento

If you’re a Pitt student and you’ve never had Oishii Bento, hello? What are you waiting for? They take off-campus dining dollars, so there’s really no excuse. A bento box at Oishii Bento comes with your choice of meat (I’d recommend beef bulgogi or spicy pork), rice, japchae noodles, fried dumplings and pickled radish. There are so many things to try, and they’re all delicious by themselves or in combinations, plus it’s just fun to eat from a bento box. 

k-town snack bar

I feel like this is less known, but K-Town Snack Bar also takes off-campus dining dollars. They have a lot of Korean street foods to choose from, including tteokbokki, Korean corn dogs and gold fish, called bungeoppang, which are cakes filled with red bean paste, custard or Nutella. 

chick’n bubbly

Chick’n Bubbly is my go-to if I want something quick on campus and don’t mind spending my own money. The chicken gangjeong, deep-fried chicken bites, are my favorite. They’re so cheap (literally $7!) but filling enough to be eaten on their own, with three delicious sauces to choose from, although the sweet and spicy is my personal favorite. 

love tea

I’ve only been to Love Tea for boba, but they do have light food as well. I’m putting it on this list because I never hear anyone talk about it and it’s never busy, so it’s perfect for your little treat after class (because I know you’re not still going to Starbucks). The brown sugar milk tea is amazing if you don’t know what to get!

shady grove

Finally, the moment you’ve been waiting for if you’re a picky eater: American food! Who am I kidding? I’m also a picky eater, which is why my food preferences are so specific. There are so many options at Shady Grove, so you’re sure to find something you like. There are sandwiches, wraps, burgers, salads and pizza, but the highlights for me are the appetizers and the shrimp shazam tacos.

Okay, in all seriousness, I do want to include everyone and offer an array of options, so here’s a rapid-fire of restaurants that I haven’t frequented as much but can vouch for:

mercurio’s: italian

The pizza and gelato taste like the real thing (yes, I’m that annoying person that never shuts up about their study abroad experience). I never had a grilled panini in Italy, but that hasn’t stopped me from eating one here. 

salem’s market & grille: Mediterranean

I’ve only tried the biryani and shawarma, but this is my Jordanian-Palestinian bestie’s favorite place to go when she’s missing home. She says it’s the most authentic in Pittsburgh and has great options at the attached supermarket, much like other markets in the Strip District! 

all india: indian

I haven’t tried much Indian food because butter chicken has a chokehold on me. The Trader Joe’s butter chicken is good, but incomparable to the real thing. All India gives you generous portions, including with the naan, which is a must-have.

bao: asian

Bao has a diverse array of Asian foods, including Chinese, Taiwanese, Singaporean, Japanese and Korean. My old roommate is a Nanjing native and she says this is the most authentic Chinese food she’s tried in Pittsburgh, and it’s right in Oakland!

eatunique: american

EatUnique has many options for vegans and vegetarians, focusing mainly on sandwiches, salads, and café items. Think Panera but more worth your money. 

This was probably my longest article to date, so thanks for bearing with me (and apologies to my editor). I hope you have new restaurants in mind to try! I am also always open to new recommendations and diversifying my favorites list! Here’s to trying new things!

Renee Arlotti is a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a writer for the Pitt chapter of Her Campus and likes writing about book and music recommendations, fashion, and mental health. Renee is majoring in Psychology and Media & Professional Communications on the Writing for the Professions track. She also plans to pursue a minor in Spanish. Outside of classes, Renee loves spending time with her three cats, watching Gilmore Girls, and listening to Fleetwood Mac. Her biggest goal in life is to travel the world.