10 Unusual Netflix Shows that You Should Totally Binge Watch this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you’ve just finished the last episode of the series that took you two uninterrupted weeks of your life to finish, don’t worry. Here’s a list of some of the less popular (but still equally incredible) Netflix shows that absolutely deserve to be added to your list this semester.

BoJack Horseman

Never has a cartoon made me question myself more than BoJack Horseman. A true dark comedy, BoJack Horseman intertwines hilarity with deeper questions of morality and what it truly entails to be a “good person.” A show completely outside of the box, it develops a universe where the viewer discovers they might have more in common with a horse than they thought they did.

Chefs Table

Watch Season 1. Watch Season 2. Watch Chef’s Table: France. The cinematography is practically pornographic that is how beautiful this show is. A Netflix original, this documentary series showcases what love and passion can create by reaching beyond the kitchen into the lives of the mastermind chefs behind the food. If the quickest way to a girl’s heart is through her stomach, I’d marry Chef’s Table tomorrow.

Documentary Now

If a traditional documentary isn’t your style, this hilarious series that spoofs some of the classics you might have slept through in class might be more your speed. With such masterminds as SNL’s Bill Hader, Fred Armisen, and Seth Meyers behind it, it might be the most you ever laugh at a documentary.

Bob’s Burgers

Bob’s Burgers is a good-natured comedy that laughs at itself almost as much as you will. It’s one of the greatest adult cartoons of our generation and each character is as unique as they are relatable. The family might be a disaster, but at the end of the day they’re always there to help get each other out of whatever hilarious hole they’ve dug themselves into.

The Returned

All of a sudden people’s loved one’s start appearing years after their deaths. Unfortunately, some don’t get the warm welcome they might have expected. There is an American adaptation of this French original, but if you don’t mind subtitles the French version is still in production and much creepier than its American counterpart.

Jane the Virgin

There is a reason Gina Rodriquez won a Golden Globe in 2015 for her portrayal of Jane Villanueva in this Americanized telenovela. With its tongue-in-cheek references to its classic telenovela counterparts, this show spins more twists into a single episode than anyone could imagine. I mean, what could you expect though considering the premise of the show is a virgin gets artificially inseminated by the sister of the sperm donor? Jane the Virgin is a masterpiece as equally ridiculous as it is heartfelt.

Freaks and Geeks

Ever wanted to watch a show featuring James Franco, Seth Rogen, and Jason Segel all at once? Well take a trip back to high school and decide for yourself whether or not you’re more of a freak or a geek.

Jessica Jones

A female Marvel character that totally kicks butt, coupled with one of the creepiest super-villains ever makes this Netflix original downright deadly. This sexy, suspenseful action series has something for everyone and adds a much-needed dose of estrogen to the Marvel universe.

Bob Ross Beauty is Everywhere

Nothing beats the stress of midterms quite like watching Bob Ross paint landscapes effortlessly. Perfect for background ambiance when writing that paper or eating ramen at 2am by yourself, there can be no bad vibes with Bob Ross and his “happy little trees”.

Blue Mountain State

Your college not living up to the party school expectations you imagined? Well, you can get the full experience without worrying about pesky alcohol poisoning just by watching Blue Mountain State. This incredibly raunchy comedy makes even the craziest house parties look lame.

Photo credit: 1 2 3 4

Nursing major
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt