This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Things to do on Campus

Not all of us have a car nor have the money to be spending to get off campus. Sometimes being on campus is pretty boring and you just don’t know what to do.

First thing first: When on campus during the weekend, try to have some fun.

The Board Events

The Board always has events happening both on and off campus. I have been to several events and they have all been really fun. On the Calendar, all the events are listed for that month. Every day is filled with upcoming events and fun activities you can attend. Not only are the activities fun, but they are also free!! If not just to quell on-campus boredom, it’s also a good way to meet new people.

Movie Night

I don’t mean movie night at a movie theater. I mean movie night in your dorm or in the common area. Get your popcorn ready and comfy clothes on. Pick a movie you or your friends haven’t seen yet, or even a movie that everyone likes and doesn’t mind watching again. It’s a lot of fun to just hang out with your friends in your dorm. You can bring the snacks you want to eat to the movie and even talk without annoying random strangers.

Hike to Cross

If you’re one of those individuals that likes to take long walks, well this hike might be for you. Though I have not taken the hike to the cross, I have heard that it was nice. The view is definitely beautiful, at least from the pictures I’ve been. Don’t be fool if you think this hike is easy. From what I have heard, the hike to the cross is very intense. If you are a beginner and planning to go on this hike, I recommend that you first start off on an easier hike before you try this tough cookie.

Cooking Competition

Who doesn’t love food? I know I love food and I love cooking. Get friends together and have a cooking competition. If you don’t have a kitchen, ask one of your friends who does and use theirs. Last semester, two of my friends held a cooking competition against each other. I was part of the judging team. It was a lot of fun and the dorm definitely smelled delicious. Cooking is also a way to get people together. It’s a time to relax and have fun. It’s also a place to have conversations without our phones being in the way and for us to just focus on each other.

Ping Pong

I challenge you! Just joking, I’m not the best ping pong player. However, there are a lot of people who like to play ping pong. Now, where do we find this ping pong table? Well that’s easy, if you go to the HAWC, you will see the table there. Get your friends together and have a game or two. Even if you don’t play very well, it’s all about having fun.

Star/ Cloud Gazing

I know this sounds so cliche, but getting a blanket and laying it on the grass at night/day to watch the stars/clouds is pretty cool. It’s also a very romantic date idea(hint hint). Doesn’t matter which time of day you gaze at the sky, it’s about relaxing and enjoying the moment. It can be a stress reliever, especially if you’ve had a lot of exams and papers due recently. I suggest you try it. You don’t have to be there the whole day, but it’s nice just to think about something else other than school and your stress.

Picnic

Picnics on the grass are a lot of fun, especially if you do it with a large group. We have all heard of Alumni park; well here, the open space is welcoming, and you can sit anywhere you like. I’ve done the picnic at the park with one of my classes and it was really refreshing and enjoyable.

Walk to the Beach

Yeah I know, walking to the beach is technically off campus, but it’s still a fun endeavor. It’s something everyone should do at least one time. I’ve done it with my friends and enjoyed it. It’s also a good form of exercise if you are looking to workout. You don’t even need to walk, you can easily run to the beach, not that I’m saying you have to. Take some friends, put on your swim suit, pack a towel and some food, and enjoy the water.

Join a Club

Believe it or not, the clubs on campus always have events going on. Join a club or group on campus. I am part of the Japanese club on campus and they have several events each semester. For example, they’ve done beach day, sushi night, and even a movie in the PLC. You’re probably wondering, how do I even find out? Well you can go to the ICC office and find out and there are flyers on campus. Pay attention to those flyers, they always promote upcoming events to check out. Next time you walk down to the cafe, look at those walls. You might find an event to go to.

Alumni Park

There is so much you can do at Alumni park. The purpose of the park is to be used in many different ways. You can easily have a sporting event or even movies at the park. As seen in the pictures below and above, Alpha Kappa Psi used the park to host one of their events. They played bubble soccer and other activities as well. You do not have to play a sport in order to use the park, you can have a get togetehr where you chill and eat. Some individuals like using the park as a place to relax and to reflect; while others use the park as a place to workout and burn some energy. Alumni is opened for all students to use, take advantage and have some fun.

Hola, mi llamo Marissa Hernandez. Hey, I'm Marissa Hernandez, and I am a senior studying Psychology at Pepperdine University. I am involved and an active member of Alpha Kappa Psi, Business Fraternity and I am currently working on campus through the theater department. I am very passionate about art and working with children. I hope to one day open my own center that is primarily focused on children and teens, through the involvement of art, sports, cooking, and other fun activities. I personally believe that community and communication with their peers who have similar interest, is the most effective way of therapy. Besides my personal interest in the future, in my free time I love to socialize with my friends, paint, eat food, and cook. I have a habit of having dinner parties every weekend about 10-15 of our closest friends, in which I cook large feast of Mexican food or other types of foods. I have an addiction to Sawtelle, in which you might catch my in the wee hours of the night getting Tatsu or wintermelon boba. I am pretty easy to find on campus, since I never go a day without wearing a single flower or a lot of flowers in my hair.