Want to Get Involved at Pepperdine? Here’s How

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

It seems like everyone is involved with something at Pepperdine, but if you haven’t found your niche yet, don’t worry. There are a lot of options out there so you’re bound to find something you’re passionate about. Getting involved is a great way to make friends and have meaningful experiences. Here are some starting points for getting involved at Pepperdine:

1. Clubs

There are clubs at Pepperdine for a wide variety of interests. Maybe Chemistry Club, Hammock Club, or Scuba Club will be the one for you. You can check out what all the clubs have to offer at the club fair, but don’t worry if you missed it. The “Peppervine” (at https://pepperdine.collegiatelink.net) has a list of Pepperdine clubs. 

2. Intramural Sports 

If you want to get involved and be active, intramural sports are a great option. Volleyball, basketball, and flag football are a few of the options that Pepperdine has to offer. Through intramural sports, you can get in shape and make new friends at the same time. Even some of the Pepperdine faculty are involved, so you’ll never know who you’re going to compete against. 

3. Volunteer Center

If making a difference is something that’s important for you, check out the opportunities the Volunteer Center has to offer. You can participate in weekly service opportunities or special events, so there’s something to fit everyone’s schedule. Plus, there’s a wide variety of causes to support, so you’re sure to find something you feel passionate about. Serving on Skid Row, at the Malibu Labor Exchange, or the Boys and Girls Club are great ways to give back to the community. 

4. Greek Life

If you’re interested in Greek life, it’s the perfect time to check it out because spring rush is coming up. Pepperdine has eight sororities and five fraternities, each with unique qualities. Greek life is a great option if you’re looking for social and philanthropic opportunities. Formals and other activities allow you to bond with your group, while mixers are a fun way to get to know other fraternities and sororities. Plus, the fraternities and sororities support each others’ causes. Each group has a charity and puts on events to raise money for their organizations.

Jenny Stephens is a junior at Pepperdine University majoring in journalism. If she's not in the newsroom, she's probably at mock trial practice or filming the sports games for work. In her spare time, she loves to cheer on her Chicago Cubs, play the electric guitar, and scrapbook.