My Campus Celebrity: Ice Princess Mimi Chindasook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Tanasorn Chindasook, or fondly called Mimi, is an international student from Bangkok, Thailand. She is well-known in the world of figure-skating as a three-time Thai national champion. Now a Junior at Pepperdine University, Mimi is studying International Business and is this week’s Campus Celebrity.

What are you involved with on Campus?

“I’m in the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. It’s really nice! I got to meet a lot of people and friends through that, so joining was a really good decision for me.” 

What do you like to do for fun?

“I like drawing and doing anything that has to do with art. I also love traveling because when I used to do competitions, I’d get to travel to all these different countries like Kazakhstan and France. It’s just a very broad spectrum. I like to see new places, see different cultures, and different people.”

How has your time in America been and what do you love most about being here?

“It’s been great. It’s really different from Bangkok or anywhere else I’ve been. The biggest thing for me was having a car. I’ve never had that freedom to just drive around before. The best thing about being here is definitely the people I’ve met. I have such a diverse friend group and I couldn’t have gotten that anywhere else in the world. I love that I get to meet such different people from different backgrounds.”

What do you miss most about home?

“I miss the food. I miss eating real Thai food. Back home, it’s super good and really cheap. Definitely beats Cholada. I also really miss my parents and my grandparents.” 

Everyone knows about the amazing accomplishments you’ve had in the world of figure-skating. What advice would you give someone working towards a their goals?

“To do something great or to make accomplishments, you have to manage your time very well. Obviously, school is important, but if you have a hobby or something on the side that you really love, you have to balance your time between school and that. Also, it’s important never to give up! From my personal experiences, everyone in Thailand asks me how I ice-skate in such a hot country, so I tell them that if there’s a will, then there’s always a way. If you love something, you’ll find a way to make time for it. Never give up on your dreams.”

What is something people don’t know about you?

“I like to learn a lot of languages. I think languages are very interesting. I can speak three languages so far: Thai, Chinese, and English. Right now, I want to learn German because I’m really interested in German culture. I also have a soft spot for super cute things like Hello Kitty!”

My name is Queenie Navarro and I am an Accounting major in my 3rd year at Pepperdine University. On campus, I am involved with the Gamma Phi Beta Sorority and am currently interning for College Fashionista as a Style Guru. In my free time, I enjoy going on spontaneous adventures and am devoted to the belief that life is about taking chances and trying everything that the world has to offer. I've shopped 'til I've literally dropped, I used to be part of a punk rock band, I've tried everything from escargot to scorpions on a stick, and have been fortunate enough to travel in over 40 countries before I even turned twenty. Overall, I consider myself to be a very open-minded person and am inspired, daily, by the people around me. One day, I dream of working for the corporate offices of some fashion magazine while hopefully getting to travel the world.