This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Recently, I became aware of a few online shopping sites that constantly give a portion of proceeds to certain charities. I think this is a great idea for any retail location at all times of the year. In the true spirit of Christmas, though, finding ways to give back seems particularly present in my mind and heart. This is a time of thanksgiving and peace on earth, so I doubt I am alone in wanting to make if only a small positive difference during the Christmas season. Of course, giving and receiving gifts are fun things to do, but giving back is pretty fun, too! Here are some outlets that will allow you to have a positive impact on this world as you complete your Christmas shopping.

1. Sevenly: This amazing e-commerce website focuses on raising awareness for several non-profits by creating short campaigns that involve selling products (mainly apparel) that were designed to match the cause. When a purchase is made, 7% of the purchase goes to the non-profit aligned with the product. The best part? The website has different focus causes, so you can choose which one you want to support!

2. Nest: This is a nonprofit itself, so you do not have to worry about the proceeds getting into the right hands. This company empowers women in communities where they lack presence by allowing them the opportunity to create beautiful products that are then sold on the site. As a result, Nest products have the craftsmanship that is not often seen in mainstream stores and they also provide jobs for women in need of them.  

3. Global Goods Partners: This website sells everything from hand warmers and other accessories to beautiful fabric-covered notebooks. It is a non-profit, as well, that is part of the Fair Trade Federation; this means that all of the women who create the products that are sold by the company are paid the just wages. This non-profit works with over 40 partners in more than 20 countries. By purchasing a product from here, you will be supporting more than 3,000 women who are employed by these partners. 

4. Hooray for the Underdog!: Looking for adorable Christmas cards to pair with your gifts? Check out the ones sold on this website, which feature photos of dogs in various Christmas poses; the dogs featured are typically from local animal shelters in an effort to help find homes for them. Additionally, 5% of the proceeds of all sales go to animal welfare charities. Everybody wins!

5. Bloom & Give: Collegiettes, we are so lucky to have grown up in a country where we are not typically barred from opportunities due to our gender. Sure, there is a long way to go before full gender equality is reached, but regardless, I grew up knowing I would receive an education and find a job one day, as I am sure most of you did, as well. This often seems like a given, but unfortunately, it is not in many areas of the world. This organization was set up in an effort to combat this. The homepage states: “Even in places where parents and society don’t agree. It is especially in these places that we have made a commitment to break the societal barriers that prevent girls from going to school. 50% of our profits go directly to girls education programs in India.” Here, you can find accessories for yourself and your home. 

6. charity: water: This awesome non-profit actually allows you to see where your money is going. You can purchase anything from phone cases to customizable tees and then watch as the proceeds from your direct purchase go towards supplying a particular community with access to clean water. You will receive information about which clean water project your money will help fund, including the GPS coordinates of the location so that you can see the proof of your help! Access to clean water is a basic human right, and this organization helps to provide it for so many communities that currently do not have it.

7. The Doll Kind: For the children in your family, this is a great option! The entire purpose of the dolls sold is to promote kindness. Each doll comes with 10 tokens that have the message, “Pay it forward,” written on them. It is a great way to have a conversation with children about the importance of being kind. Furthermore, with each doll that is purchased, another one is given to a less fortunate child; these dolls are donated to places like orphanages and hospitals throughout the world. This is true kindness. 

8. Goodbye Malaria: Malaria is still affecting many African countries. However, the African entrepreneurs who started this organization are determined to educate people about the possibility of it being eliminated for good. The money they raise helps to fund malaria elimination programs in Mozambique. The designs of the products sold reflect local art; they are very colorful and fun. They would absolutely make great Christmas presents! You can find pajama bottoms, teddy bears, and bracelets on this website. 

9. Purpose Jewelry: This amazing brand funds the non-profit International Sanctuary, which helps to provide holistic care for the company’s artisans; these are women who have been rescued from sex trafficking. Although this is not an issue we hear about as often as others, it is incredibly important to fight against it. Just as water is a basic human right, so is freedom. No one deserves to be enslaved in any way, shape, or form. The work this non-profit does is truly amazing, and the jewelry is absolutely beautiful!

10. Mercy Ships: Perhaps you have heard of this popular charity. Its purpose is to take large hospital ships to various nations to help perform surgeries and procedures that people from those locations would either not have access to or not be able to afford. The work this charity has done during its 35 years of existence has certainly been impactful and is an immense inspiration for coming up with a logistically stable idea that helps so many people. The cool part about shopping for Mercy Ships products is that you have the option of either buying their merchandise or going straight to the donation section to fund things like bandages and even full surgeries for patients. 

11. Bonus: For your friends who are Harry Potter fans, you may want to look into purchasing this limited edition t-shirt featuring a young Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) and the statement: “Started from the Bottom.” You can see Matthew Lewis sporting this shirt on his Instagram; he designed it himself, too! The purpose of these tees? To raise money for children’s charities, as a portion of each sale goes to some of them. Hurry with this one, though, as it is only available for two weeks!

Paola Ramos

Pepperdine

I'm a Pepperdine University senior from Texas. I'm a Leo, a total dog lover, and an avid reader. Spanish is my first language, so I am bilingual and working on being trilingual (I just need to turn my conversational French into fluent French). I love to write; it's a way of life!