This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

1. Cook your own food! Eating out can be tempting, especially when lured further by a good time with friends, but buying your own groceries and meal prepping is both a more economic and healthier option. Besides, with Pinterest and Google, you can find an array of simple and good dishes!

2. Buy your own alcohol (if you’re over 21, of course). Going out to bars is fun, but instead of purchasing your drinks at the bar, make yourself a drink before heading out. Then maybe you can buy only one instead of two or three at your bar of choice.

3. Buy large bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc. Although you may spend a few extra dollars in the moment, you will save money in the long run. Consider it an investment!

Photo from TheGloss

4. Rent your class textbooks, don’t buy them! And before that, check to see if your library has a copy available. You may be able to get away with simply borrowing it and not spending any money at all.

5. Budget! Take the time to look at your bank account and figure out how much money you can and are willing to spend per week. Then, cash out a certain amount at an ATM weekly and make it a point to only spend whatever you have in cash during each week and no more.

Paola Ramos

Pepperdine

I'm a Pepperdine University senior from Texas. I'm a Leo, a total dog lover, and an avid reader. Spanish is my first language, so I am bilingual and working on being trilingual (I just need to turn my conversational French into fluent French). I love to write; it's a way of life!