Campus Profile: McKayla Rosen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

McKayla Rosen is a junior at Pepperdine who is always a joy to those around her. She has a heart for service and is highly involved at Pepperdine. Check out how she does it!

Name: McKayla Rosen

Age: 20

Year: Junior 

Hometown: Simi Valley, CA

Major: Religion

You have such a wonderful, cheerful personality. How do you stay positive even when school or life becomes difficult?

“Honestly, it’s not me at all, but the Holy Spirit within me! I seek Jesus through all situations and receive a love for others and a joy so vast that I can’t even articulate it. In Jesus, I’ve gained perspective and priorities, so I’m able to see what truly matters even during the more difficult times. Further, when difficulties come, I seek to deal with them right then and there through healthy ways (such as praying, writing and sharing with close friends) rather than covering them up or putting them off. Feel what you feel!”

What are you involved with at Pepperdine and how has it impacted you?

“This year, I work for the Pepperdine Volunteer Center where I serve as the Volunteer Coordinator for Hunger and Homelessness in Ventura County. Through this position, I’ve received experiences and conversations which have educated me and given me a passion for the larger social justice issues of hunger and homelessness. Through the PVC, I’ve learned what it truly means to serve others and how to do so in the right ways. My experiences with the PVC have changed my goals and career plans. Before taking this position, I didn’t even have much of a passion for the issues hunger of hunger and homelessness. Now, however, I seek to dedicate a large portion of my time (now, but even more so post graduation) fighting these issues and helping people who are experiencing homelessness to embrace the love of Jesus Christ.”

What inspired you to work for Pepperdine’s Volunteer Center?

“My sophomore year, I found I had too much free time, so went into the PVC and said, “Hi! I want to volunteer!” I then started volunteering weekly with the program Hand in Hand at the Malibu Jewish Center. I loved it! It brought me so much energy, happiness and inspiration. During PVC recruitment, the student coordinator for the program texted me nearly every day, encouraging me to apply for a coordinator position, so I did.”

What has been your favorite part of attending Pepperdine?

“I’ve loved having the freedom to grow in my faith and seek it out for myself. I didn’t feel pressured in any way. I loved that the resources and opportunities to pursue Jesus were definitely present, but they were not forced upon me.”

What is something most people don’t know about you?

“I love emo music!”
Jenny Stephens is a junior at Pepperdine University majoring in journalism. If she's not in the newsroom, she's probably at mock trial practice or filming the sports games for work. In her spare time, she loves to cheer on her Chicago Cubs, play the electric guitar, and scrapbook.