Style > Beauty

Your Spring & Summer Beauty Bag Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Because you need a survival kit to survive New York City’s summer heat. Below are my favorite beauty products for keeping a fresh face through the city’s stickiest summer months. Invest in these beauty essentials now so you’re ready to face the heat! 

Smashbox Iconic Photofinish Foundation Primer. $36.00 

Primer is foundations best friend during those hot and sweaty summer months. It holds foundation in place for hours after application, keeping your face fresh all day. This Smashbox Primer is one of Sephora’s best sellers and, from personal experience; I can say one of my favorite beauty products for radiant smooth skin. According to their website, Sephora describes the product, “The silky blend of vitamins and antioxidants smooths and perfects skin, while the unique formula supports natural collagen and fills in fine lines and pores for a flawless finish.” 

bareMinerals COMPLEXION RESCUE™ Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream $29.50

The sticky summer months are not a time for a thick and heavy foundation, which will leave your pores clogged. Instead, opt for a BB cream, which combines skin hydration with natural coverage. This will leave your makeup feeling weightless instead of cakey after a day in the sun. The best part is that BB cream is it is actually good for your skin so you won’t have to worry about breaking out. 

Beautyblender the original beautyblender® $20.00

In order to guarantee your makeup lasts all day, you’ll need to pick up the beauty blender from Sephora. I absolutely love this because it delivers a light and even coverage every time I apply my foundation. According to Sephora, “the Beautyblender features an open cell structure that fills with small amounts of water when wet. This allows the sponge to be “full” so that the makeup product sits on top of the sponge rather than being absorbed, allowing you to use less product every time.” Just be sure to clean it regularly to avoid bacteria build up! 

Stila Waterproof Eyeliner $22.00

In order to avoid looking like a raccoon after riding in a packed subway car in 90-degree heat, make sure to switch over to waterproof eye products. I have used Stila’s waterproof eyeliner for years and it has become a part of my daily makeup routine. 

MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Microfinish Powder $35.00

This product is everything. After a few hours of running the city in the blazing heat, you will want to freshen up your makeup, without making it cakey, and this finishing powder has got you covered. According to Sephora, “One universal shade works for all skin tones. The lightweight, silky texture and ultrafine formula adds a soft focus effect for a flawless finish and can be applied over foundation or worn alone.” I have been using this product for over three years and it has become an essential staple of my summer makeup routine.

Blotting Papers $5.00 – $8.00

Blotting papers are the easiest and most convenient way to remove excess oil from your face.  With a variety of products on the market, my favorites are the Sephora brand blotting papers or Clean & Clear® Oil Absorbing Sheets. Both of these consistently take off oil without smudging or removing makeup. Recommendations: SEPHORA COLLECTION Herbal Rose Blotting Papers $8.00 or Clean & Clear® Oil Absorbing Sheets $5.00

Too Faced Sun Bunny Natural Bronzer $30.00

I love this product because it’s half a pink under-toned bronze and half a deep rich bronze which means you can basically customize how dark you want your bronzer to be. Also, the light shine is perfect for achieving that summer glow.

Ciaté London’s Ultimate Nail Polish Combo of 3 $18.00-$20.00

This completely customizable kit is available at Sephora stores for only $20 a set (or skip the case and pick up 3 for $18!). You can choose from a variety of trendy colors ranging from pretty pastels to glittering sparkles, all of which dry to a shiny and gel-wear finish.

Hey Everyone:) I am a Philadelphia native with a love for NYC. I am currently a communications major and a digital media studies minor at Pace University. I am a health and fitness enthusiast. I also volunteer with Reading Partners and Jumpstart. In my free time I love writing, traveling, rap music, and shopping.
Hello! My name is Josephine "Josie" Morenski, and I am from Detroit, Michigan. Currently, I am a Communication Studies major at Pace University in New York City, with a minor in Psychology. I am also a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Pace, Promotions Intern for Cumulus Media, and a Student Assistant at Pace University. Writing and blogging have always been a passion of mine, and I am excited to share my content with the Her Campus community.