Under-Hyped Shows To Stream On Netflix and Hulu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Since COVID-19 has taken over the world, I have spent my time indoors (as recommended) doing online classes, reading for pleasure, and streaming excessive amounts of content. It’s difficult finding new shows to watch, and asking for recommendations on social media typically generates the same old responses that range from Gossip Girl to Riverdale. Don’t get me wrong- I love those shows, but sometimes I’m looking for something new and lesser known to spice up my binge watches. 

To help those who are experiencing the same struggle, I decided to create a list of some of the best shows that I have seen lately that aren’t over-hyped.

Locke and Key (Netflix)

Description: After their dad’s murder, three siblings move with their mom to his ancestral estate, where they discover magical keys that unlock powers – and secrets.

If you like Harry Potter, start watching this now. I finished the whole season in one day, unable to go to sleep without knowing what happens. This show is extremely suspenseful and entertaining- I think it’s the best show on Netflix.

The Umbrella Acadamy (Netflix)

Description: Years after they rose to fame as young crime-fighting superheroes, the estranged Hargreeves siblings come together to mark their father’s death.

It took me a full episode to get into this show- the complexity of the characters and lack of background information made it somewhat confusing. However, once I began to figure it out, I got sucked in. I’m counting down the days until season 2 is released. 

Marvel’s Runaways (Hulu)

Description: Every teenager thinks their parents are evil. What if you found out they actually were? Marvel’s Runaways is the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe – their parents.

I started watching this with my family and has slowly become our new go-to show after dinner. We’re a Marvel household but I really love how light-hearted and suspenseful this show is considering it is about superheroes.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix)

Description: A mysterious demon wreaks havoc on Spellman Morturary. Sabrina goes rogue and puts her powers to the test.

This show received a lot of hype when it first came out but quickly lost that well-deserved talk. I’m still catching up on episodes, but this show is a must watch.

Dead To Me (Netflix)

Description: A hotheaded widow searching for the hit-and-run driver who mowed down her husband befriends an eccentric optimist who isn’t quite what she seems.

My family recommended this one (and apparently so does actress Marcela Bnjumea). They told me that it’s great and worth the watch, despite the fact that I haven’t heard anyone talking about it- so it’s now on my Netflix “to watch” list.

Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu)

Description: Little Fires Everywhere follows the intertwined fates of the picture-perfect Richardson family and an enigmatic mother and daughter who upend their lives. Based on Celeste Ng’s 2017 bestseller, the story explores the weight of secrets, the nature of art and identity, the ferocious pull of motherhood – and the danger in believing that following the rules can avert disaster.

I haven’t started watching this show- yet- but am highly anticipating doing so as I love the novel that it’s based on. I read “Liffle Fires Everywhere” in a day and I expect to watch the series in the same way.

Dave (Hulu)

Description: Dave centers on a neurotic man in his late 20s who has convinced himself that he’s destined to be one of the best rappers of all time. Now he must convince his closest friends, because with their help, he actually might convince the world. Simultaneously exasperating and inspiring to his friends, he vows to leave no stone unturned on his quest to become the next superstar. The half-hour comedy is based on the life of rapper and comedian Dave Burd, better known by his stage name Lil Dicky.

This is a FOX series that is being released simultaneously on Hulu loosely based on the comedic rapper’s life. I am excited to continue watching this series because it’s guaranteed to be funny.

Looking For Alaska (Hulu)

Description: Teenager Miles enrolls in boarding school to try to gain a deeper perspective on life; after an unexpected tragedy, Miles and his friends try to make sense of what they have been through.

I read this book back in the day and it’s my favorite John Green novel to date. When I heard that they were turning this into a series, I was so excited! In the end, the series was good but I probably would have loved it more in high school when I was obsessed with the book.

Scream (Netflix)

Description: Another death raises questions and causes a further rit between Emma and Audrey. A provocative podcaster arrives in town to report on the murders.

I started watching this (only the first episode) a long time ago and didn’t end up continuing the series. Apparently it gets better, so I figured I’d add this MTV show to the list since nobody is talking about it anymore.

Shameless (U.S.) (Netflix)

Description: This dramedy based on a British series centers on siblings in a dysfunctional Chicago family who struggle while coping with their alcoholic father. 

Even after 10 seasons, Shameless remains one of my favorite shows to date. I’ve never stuck with a show this long, but it doesn’t receive enough credit considering how good it is. 

Big Time Adolescence (Hulu)

Description: A seemingly bright and mostly innocent 16-year-old named Mo (Griffin Gluck) attempts to navigate high school under the guidance of his best friend Zeke (Pete Davidson), an unmotivated-yet-charismatic college dropout. Although Zeke genuinely cares about Mo, things start to go awry as he teaches Mo nontraditional life lessons in drug dealing, partying, and dating. Meanwhile, Mo’s well-meaning dad (Jon Cryer) tries to step in and take back the reins of his son’s upbringing.

I love Griffin Gluck (who is also in Locke And Key) and Pete Davidson, so I was pretty much already sold on Big Time Adolescence. This was recently released and I thought it was really great! It’s relatable and raw, and deserves way more hype.

I hope you enjoy these shows and share them with your friends. You can be the trend starter and get everyone else obsessed before social media does. 

*All descriptions are taken from their respective streaming platform and were included to appropriately describe the series or film.

My name is Kylie Geatz. While I work towards a career in the music industry, I enjoy my time spent living in NYC exploring, drinking too much coffee, and attending different events/concerts. Feel free to reach out and comment on any of my articles on any of my social media accounts (@altkylie)!