This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

If you asked anyone what the worst aspect of being the single friend was, they would say third wheeling with their couple friends. Even though you may dread it, putting a little effort into third wheeling can make it much more bearable.

1.         Be happy with your own relationship status.       

The most important aspect of being a good third-wheel is being happy with your own relationship status. Be happy with yourself, there is nothing wrong with being single. When you’re hanging out with a couple, whining about your lack of love isn’t cute or funny – it’s awkward. The couple wants to enjoy themselves while also having fun with you, their friend.

2.         Do not acknowledge the extra wheel.

Do not, I repeat, do not point out the fact that you’re third wheeling. Saying something like, “oh you two are so cute and I’m here all alone” makes it even more. The couple knows you’re third wheeling and they don’t care because they want you there. As soon as you point out your lack of date, things can take a very weird turn.

3.         Divide the conversation.     

Talk to each member of the couple individually, they’re not one person. They are separate people who live different lives and you will most likely have different things in common with each. Obviously most of the conversation will be group conversation, but do not be afraid to talk about things that only pertain to half of the couple. Not every conversation has to involve all three of you talking.

4.         Listen when they talk about their significant other.      

Don’t be afraid to learn about their relationship. You never want to be overly involved in their relationship, but ask about your friend’s significant other when you’re alone with them. They trust you and it won’t kill you to listen to what their ‘idiot’ S.O. is doing! Keep in mind that you never want to get in the middle of their relationship. Talk with each of them and give advice, but never reveal what you talked about, keeping their feelings in confidence.

5.         Always be ready with your camera.

On a lighter note, it’s important to be a good photographer! Not only will you be taking the posed pictures, but it also doesn’t hurt to catch some candid shots. A good friend will never think it’s creepy and will be eternally grateful. If you see them having a cute moment or catch one gazing at the other, try to get it on camera.

6.         Just have fun!

Make sure you are enjoying time spent out with your friends. You love them both individually, so why not love them together? If you’re only friends with one member of the couple, take your third-wheeling time to get to know the other member. They want you there to have fun – not to torture you! 

Hey there! My name is Alexis and I'm a senior at Pace University where I am double majoring in Peace & Justice Studies and Communication Studies with minor in Women and Gender Studies. I am the Campus Corespondent for Her Campus Pace and love watching our organization grow. I just got back from spending Spring semester in Florence, Italy and traveling throughout Europe for a month this summer. When I'm not running around between school and my internship, I can be found exploring the city with my friends, checking out some art at MoMA, binge watching Gilmore Girls, Friends or whatever new show has caught my attention or planning my next trip. I believe writing is one of the best tools we have for personal expression and activism!