‘Summer Mixtape’: The Driver Era’s New Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

I have been a fan of the Lynch family’s music since I was nine years old. Following them from when they started on YouTube, becoming R5, and now to them being The Driver Era. I have been to numerous concerts over the past 12 years, and I have to say, they never disappoint. TDE released their new album, Summer Mixtape, on Sept.16, 2022. A few songs were released as singles and performed during their U.S. summer tour, which I was lucky enough to see in person. That made me even more excited to hear this album. This mixtape of different songs, all unique, was a great way to end the summer. Here is what I thought about each song.

“Malibu”

“Malibu” was released as a single and was performed during the U.S. summer tour. That was when I was able to appreciate the song. I liked it when it first came out, but I think seeing it live in person adds to the great vibe of the song. It is definitely a favorite of the album and works well with that summer feeling. I find myself singing and humming this song frequently as it gets stuck in my head.

“Turn the Music Up”

What initially pulled me into this song was Rocky’s voice. Ross, the main singer, is always vocally featured more than Rocky. However, I will always appreciate Rocky’s voice being showcased. This song has a great upbeat momentum that really brought me in. There is also a great amount of each instrument being used, and I love being able to hear the layers on top of each other. Since hearing it, this has been a staple on my playlists.

“I Got You, You Got Me”

This is the shortest song on the album, it almost seems like a teaser. I couldn’t decide if it was a song to bob my head to or close my eyes and just experience. Then, it was over. Short and simple but packs a punch. It truly is unlike any other song we have previously seen from The Driver Era.

“Like a King”

I had to listen to this song multiple times before deciding how I felt about it. It starts fast, but there is an unexpected tempo change towards the middle. Then, it becomes a bit choppy until the end, when it returns to how it was at the beginning. Ross’ vocals are amazing, but they also change during the song. There are many moving parts to this; it is not a simple, fast and upbeat song. I think this is a unique addition to the album and definitely catches attention. I imagine this would be popular live, but everyone will have their own opinions.

“Fantasy”

“Fantasy” was not a song I was expecting to hear on this album. It is a slower song that showcases Ross’ voice in a way their other songs previously hadn’t. The lyrics are drawn out and the depths of his voice entice the listener. The first time I listened to it, I don’t think I was able to get the full effect. This is a song I recommend listening to multiple times and then watching the music video. It works wonderfully with the black and white mysterious video that was shot for it. A great and unexpected addition to the album.

“The Money”

Ross’ voice gets you right away with this song. His voice is layered throughout the song, and we get to hear a different range from him. It uses the voice we are used to hearing from him along with an echo and a more of a speaking voice. This is another favorite of mine on the album. Another unexpected sound that grabs your attention and pulls you in. I picture the crowd going crazy when they play this one in concert.

“Bronco”

I absolutely love the juxtaposition of Rocky and Ross’ voices in this song. It’s always nice to hear both of them instead of only one being the focus on vocals. This is one of my favorite songs on the album and I have been listening to it for days.

“Back To You”

“Back To You” is a shorter song on the album. It’s hands down, my favorite song on the album. There is emotion in the lyrics paired up with a nice beat. Its sound is different from all others on the album. My only complaint is that I wish it were longer. By the end of it, I wanted more. More of that song or more that sounded like it with the same feeling it gives. I do think that makes this song special because it really stands away from the others.

“Be Happening”

The beginning of this song introduced a nice beat that contrasts well with the slowness of the song. I feel Ross’ voice is rawer and lets more emotion through. Throughout the song, there is an echo to his voice which I think added another layer to the sound. The end of the song does pick up in speed a bit, and I could see the crowd at a concert really getting into them performing this. Overall, I think this is a great song and would be amazing to hear live.

“Endlessly”

I feel this song relates closely to “Turn the Music Up” and that they are the most similar on the album. Again, we get a great song with Rocky’s strong voice leading. I think this song is a vibe and goes great with the summer theme. This is a song I would have in a playlist/mixtape for the summer. Even though it is similar to “Turn the Music Up,” it is still uniquely its own.

“Keep Moving Forward (feat. Nikka Costa)”

“Keep Moving Forward” was released earlier as a single. When it first came out, I will admit, I was not the biggest fan of this song. I felt the new sound TDE was creating was not what I had been expecting. I thought it would not be a song I would get stuck in my head. That being said, after seeing them perform it during their U.S. summer tour, it is definitely a song that I have added to playlists and want to hear.

After the release of this album, I realized that TDE can not be placed in a box because they always create something unexpected. When releasing new music and videos, there is no guessing which direction they will take you in. This album has a unique sound for each of the songs. There is not one sound that encompasses all of the songs, which makes each even more interesting. I am excited to see them perform more of them in person and bring these pieces to life before a crowd.

I am a Junior at Pace University studying Fine Arts and Business Management. I am the Vice President of Her Campus Pace University NYC. My email is jordanfisicarohc@gmail.com