Study Ablog: 5 Tips To Not Be Homesick While Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Hello everyone! This semester I decided to study abroad in the land down under, otherwise known as Australia, (or as the locals say ‘Straya)! This is a big step for me since I was born and raised in New York and commute from home. You would think I would have a major problem adjusting to life on my own, no?  But, to be honest, I have not been homesick once since being here. I thought it would be a good idea to share some of my tips with you that have helped me prevent homesickness abroad.

1.         Pictures. Pictures. PICTURES.

Before coming here, my program advised us to bring pictures to help transition into the culture with some comfort. When first reading this I thought, “eh, I’ll be fine. If I miss home, I can just look at the pictures on my phone.” Boy was I wrong. The first day I came here, I walked into a bare room and it got lonely and sad real quick. I needed to put something on the walls immediately! I didn’t want to go out and spend a lot on wall décor I would only use for a semester, so thankfully I found photo-printing machines at the “Big W” (their Wal-Mart equivalent). Putting up those photos has made such a difference for me since, each time I look at the wall, I am instantly happy from the memories. My goal for the end of the semester is to have the wall covered, so who knows, maybe I will be permanently smiling from all the great times!

2.         Find People You Enjoy Being With

You don’t realize how much people affect your experience until you’re in your room alone. My tip is to talk to everyone, even if you are nervous, scared or not even in the mood. I met one of my really good friends within an hour of arriving on campus and now we talk about how crazy it is how quickly we became close. Being away from home is hard, but finding a good group of friends that make you laugh helps because they’ll quickly become your family.

3.         Keep Busy

Being on exchange, your program most likely has a lot of activities to offer. With that being said, do anything and everything! The absolute best way to not be homesick is to keep occupied and to not think about home. Just take it all as it is and enjoy the adventure that you are in. Remember that home will always be there, but being in a foreign country is an experience of a lifetime.

4.         Have Things That Remind You of Home

I accidentally discovered this tip, but I’m really happy I did. As I’ve previously mentioned, when I first arrived here, the room was completely bare, I didn’t even have any bed sheets. I rushed to Big W and bought a fresh set in my favorite color, purple. Luckily, my Dad surprised me and sent my stuffed penguin. Let’s just say when I saw it I wasn’t expecting to be that happy, but it’s the little things that count.

5.         Be Homesick

This might sound strange, but it actually works. On a rare occasion when I do feel sad and want to go home, I call my parents, message my friends, and think about the things I miss back home, and in a way it gives me comfort.

Tiffany is a born and raised New Yorker and a senior at Pace University in downtown Manhattan,majoring in Communications and double minoring in Literature and Women's & Gender Studies. Proud Feminist. Books,helping others, and traveling are her three main passions. That is why she wants to get into YA publishing and why she's here to help her fellow collegiates! In Omnia Paratus!