vintage jacket on neon?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
vintage jacket on neon?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration in Canva for Her Campus Media
Life > Experiences

Run, Don’t Walk to the Mugler Exhibit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

This past weekend, I went to Thierry Mugler: Couturissime, an exhibition in the Brooklyn Museum honoring the work of Thierry Mugler. According to the Brooklyn Museum website, “The exhibition features over one hundred outfits ranging from haute couture pieces to stage costumes, alongside custom accessories, sketch videos, images by leading fashion photographers, and spectacular installations that mirror Mugler’s futuristic approach.” This exhibition has been initiated by the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, in collaboration with Maison Mugler. 

This is an exhibition that everyone must visit. There is no doubt that Mugler had an impact on the fashion industry. Mugler challenged the idea of what fashion is and can be. Not only that, but his shows were a spectacle to watch. Mugler found the balance between art and fashion, adding theatrics to his shows, making Mugler a one-of-a-kind experience. I feel that this exhibit brought this one-of-a-kind experience right to us. Not only did we get to see actual dresses and specific looks, but we got to see photographs and runway videos, and even smell perfumes. There was plenty to look at and discuss with your friends as well. One of the most interactive parts would be the room with mirrors. It felt like I was on a runway as I walked through, and it added a lot more dimension to the exhibit. Mugler didn’t limit himself to one category; he truly was a visionary and wasn’t afraid to take risks.

While attending this exhibit, I had the chance to go with my friends, Gi and Drew. Gi, a Pace University student, said, “I love the composition of the layout; they followed his journey through the years he produced the pieces and showed them in that order. As you go through the exhibition you can see his creativity emerge, especially going from such a serious performance piece at the beginning, to the black and white pieces, to his elaborate immediate color pieces. All of his most recognizable pieces were on display, and I was not mad about it! He for sure has so many other pieces, but the ones I wanted to see were there. I also liked how they incorporated his perfumes all in one room. It smelled so good in there and was a great subtle ad for his perfume, which I also remember discussing which one smelled best. Overall, it was wicked cool to see these pieces in person and get the background on them!”

Another Pace University student, Drew, said, “The Mugler exhibit is a must-see for people interested in the intersection between art and fashion. Not only are Mugler pieces just extraordinary to look at, but they are also an artistic commentary on the world around us. What I admire most about Mugler is his commitment to going against the norm and his ability to incorporate jaw-dropping sexy silhouettes into elegant garments, i.e. the assless dress.”

Again, Thierry Mugler: Couturissime is an exhibit that you must see. I was able to learn more about Mugler (the brand and the person), all while gaining more appreciation for both. Thierry Mugler: Couturissime is at the Brooklyn Museum and is open until May 7, 2023. This is one of my favorite exhibits that I have seen in a while!

PK Kennedy is an active member within Her Campus at Pace. They are a social media assistant and help oversee Her Campus at Pace’s Pinterest account and write weekly articles focusing on, but not limited to, local events, music, and film/television pieces. Outside of Her Campus, PK is a senior at Pace University (NYC) and is majoring in Communications and Media Studies with a double minor in Digital Marketing and Arts and Entertainment Management. Recently, PK has been delving into multiple social media and design platforms to further their knowledge about digital marketing. During this school year, and beyond graduation, they hope to continue to learn more about photoshop and video editing software. Beyond school, PK enjoys listening and discovering new music, enjoying a cup of coffee and a sweet treat, having hour-long conversations about Star Wars and/or Marvel. If not doing any of the items listed above, PK is most definitely “rotting” in bed and gaining more knowledge about astrology and rewatching their favorite movie/TV shows again.