This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

If I could describe Broadway’s musical The Prom in one word it would be “phenomenal.” Not only were the writers able to accurately depict the pain and fear of coming out in a small town of homophobes, but create hilariously witty lines and lyrics that brought joy to the serious situations. The writers Bob Martin and Chad Beguelin weren’t afraid to use some offensive terms or take shots at President Trump in order to depict the reality of the world we currently live in making one really think about how we could do something about it. This original musical also had it all from vain teenagers and actors to political activism making it a must see for anyone visiting NYC.

It all starts when a group of narcissistic Broadway stars (played by Beth Leavel, Brooks Ashmanskas, Trent Oliver, and Angie Schworer) look for a way to purge their tarnished reputations and decide to use a high schooler named Emma (played by Caitlin Kinnunen) who had been outcast by her town for wanting to take her girlfriend to the prom to do it. That’s when things go awry and instead of helping young Emma they end up making things worse. Now they have to pull out all the stops to try to make things right, help Emma deal with her closeted girlfriend Alyssa (played by Isabelle McCalla), and create the perfect prom. It also doesn’t help when the whole town is against them, especially Alyssa’s homophobic PTA mother. That is why I highly suggest that if you are or have a friend currently hiding in the closet afraid to let their colors fly or know a homophobe you should take them to see The Prom. They’d either gain the confidence to be themselves or finally come to terms with how being gay is definitely more than okay. I for one would love to take my relatives that are stuck in the old ways to this play to try and open their minds. With the musical’s amazing plot, choreography, and music it would be hard not to be converted, which is why I wish that in the future we see more accurate representations of the LGBTQ+ community on stage.

Click here to watch a preview of The Prom!

Hello, I'm a proud book dragon majoring in English language and Literature while minoring in marketing. And as an Aquarius, you can see my ecocentrism and passion in everything I write. <3