This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Netflix just dropped a new series, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and naturally, I have already watched the entire season. Right before the show dropped, I got a chance to attend a live conversation with Sabrina herself, Kiernan Shipka. Let me be the first to say, she is so deserving of all the love that’s about to come her way. Not only is she one of the sweetest celebrities I have ever met, but she is also the girl power role model we all need right now.

I am not going to lie, I was already pretty excited about this series before attending the interview. I mean, the characters we loved from Sabrina the Teenage Witch are all coming back to the small screen, only this time much darker and in the same world as Riverdale! Sign me up. That being said, after listening to Kiernan discuss the series, I was even more excited. The series follows Sabrina Spellman, a teenage girl who is trying to balance between her two worlds, the human world of her friends, and the witch world of her family. I won’t spoil anything for you, however, through the trailer we can see that Sabrina struggles with some pretty dark topics in this first season. However, Kiernan discussed the human issues that we see the character dealing with as well. She feels super passionate about fighting for women’s rights and is portrayed doing just that. Kiernan revealed that everyone having the rights they deserve, is very important to her character. She talked about how important it is for a show to depict young people being so active in fighting for social change, especially in today’s political climate. We are living in such an important time right now when it comes to young people in politics, and the fact that a Netflix series is portraying this importance is so amazing to me. In the interview, she also explained the fact that she will always be drawn to feminist content and complex female characters, which only made me love her even more.

As they said in the interview, Sabrina Spellman is a “woke witch,” and I personally loved seeing her in action. Don’t forget to binge The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix, and please go show Kiernan all the love and support she deserves!

Check out the interview here!

Hey, I'm Sarah! I'm a junior double majoring in Film and Screen Studies; as well as English. I'm from Syracuse, New York but absolutely love it here in New York City. I couldn't be more excited to be a part of Her Campus at Pace!!