This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Studying abroad has been the highlight of my college experience so far. But, like many others, I was nervous about moving to a new country all alone and arriving at a campus I had never stepped foot on. Here are a few personal study abroad and general travel strategies that worked for me!

Packing

I am extremely guilty of overpacking. I love multiple options when it comes to shoes, jackets, and accessories. But I realized, since I’d be traveling for three or more months, I was going to want to leave some room in my bags to buy new clothes or souvenirs. These space-saving methods made a huge difference for me:

Packing cubes are a lifesaver! They help condense everything and maximize space within the smallest of bags.

Wear layers while traveling. Even in warmer months, it is much easier to pack when you are wearing your larger boots or thicker shirts and jackets to save space in your luggage.

When I’m unsure or on the fence about something, I leave it at home. Chances are that if I’m that indecisive about a pair of jeans or extra few shirts, I most likely won’t need them.

Meeting New People

Right upon arrival in a new country, or even just a new school, everything can seem overwhelming. One of my main concerns when I studied abroad was meeting people and making connections. However, there are so many opportunities to meet people from all over the world when you’re abroad and I took advantage of it by:

Going to the school’s study abroad fairs and events. Most of the time, schools host a Welcome Week, where they invite new and international students to various events. This is the perfect way to meet people who understand what it is like to be far from home, and it was easy to  make quick connections.

Saying “Yes!” (In a safe way). Personally, if someone asked to grab dinner or go on a weekend trip, I would always say yes! Of course, I did this knowing my personal boundaries and did what was best for me. But by saying yes, I found it was easy to meet people by getting out of my comfort zone and trying something new!

Initiating the conversation first. This is something I struggle with, but I knew that when I was abroad, I wanted to change it. Whether it was a simple “Where are you from?” or “How are you liking school?”, a small conversation starter may go a long way.

Joining social media groups! Social media groups are a great way to get to know people before you go abroad. Many times, schools may set up groups online where students living in the same accommodation or those in the same program can exchange information and get to know each other before school starts.

Budgeting

This is something I wish I did, but honestly didn’t. When anyone is abroad, money can be very easy to spend, so here are some ways I budgeted and saved money.

Budget airlines are your best friend while abroad. There might not be a fancy TV at your seat or free snacks, but there is a reason for this! Often, one can find flights for as low as $50 in major European cities.

Made a spreadsheet of what I’m spending weekly. This was an easy way for me to keep track of my finances and hold myself accountable for what I spent.

Split the cost of accommodations. When possible, I tried to travel with multiple people I was comfortable with to split the cost. I took the time to research hostels or Airbnb since they are often cheaper alternatives compared to hotels. Keep in mind that the cost of housing will vary from city to city and country to country.

Staying Safe

Safety is a priority all the time, especially in a new country, and these are some simple safety tips I did that went a long way:

Shared my location. I shared my location not only with family and friends from home but also with one or two people I trusted at my new school.

Did proper research before booking a hostel or Airbnb. Make sure it is reputable and in a good location.

Beware of scams and pickpockets! Before traveling to a new place, I researched the most common scams as they vary by place.

Wore a belt bag or crossbody bag when I went out. These are some safer options compared to traditional purses that can be stolen right off of you. I kept my belongings closer to my chest and body, as they are more secure.

Have a portable charger! This is the best way to ensure my phone wouldn’t die so I could have communication, maps, and other services at my fingertips at all times.

While the idea of studying abroad might be overwhelming, the stress, for me, was easily relieved by planning accordingly! Keep in mind that these previous tips might not work for everyone, but they helped me make the most of my few months abroad. Happy travels!

Originally from Cape Cod Massachusetts, Arianna is a junior at Pace University majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Digital Storytelling and Journalism. Besides writing, she loves reading, hanging out with friends, and traveling!