My Experience Watching The Movie ‘Cocaine Bear’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

The highly anticipated movie Cocaine Bear was recently released in theaters on Feb. 24. Directed by Elizabeth Banks, the comedy-thriller is everything I expected going into the theater and about 40 things I didn’t. Cocaine Bear is based loosely on the true story of a bear found dead in Chattahoochee National Park after ingesting nearly 40 pounds (allegedly) of cocaine. The film has a fictionalized take on the story: what if the bear had lived and gone on a fiending murderous rampage? Viewers are thrown into the heart of the movie quickly, with the opening scene being the brutal murder of a hiker, but circles back to the events that led to the cocaine being left in the park in the first place. The movie primarily follows the stories of a mother looking for her daughter who is lost in the park, and a drug ring desperately trying to get back what’s left of the cocaine. It stars Keri Russel, Margo Martindale, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, and the late great Ray Liotta. Brooklynn Prince and Christian Convery are featured as a pair of rambunctious middle schoolers, who in my eyes added an excellent layer of comedic value to this film. Jesse Tyler Ferguson, who many know from the long-running sitcom Modern Family, was truly an unexpected force. It took a few scenes to even recognize him behind the mustache and Georgia accent, but despite only being in the film briefly, the interactions his character had with Martindale’s truly stood out from the whole experience. 

Being set in the 1980s, there is an air of campy ‘80s horror film, which I found to be a very effective way of making light of the screwed-up subject matter. There are surprises around every corner, and special effects to make your stomach flip. Upon the completion of the final scene, the audience was in utter shock, sides in stitches from the slew of hard-landing jokes and the comedic dismemberment of at least nine people. Emma Huffman, a Pace University freshman, says she was “shocked to no words” in a post-Cocaine Bear haze. Overall, Cocaine Bear was thrilling and truly hilarious; a must-see for 2023. However, if you’re particularly squeamish, I would suggest skipping the popcorn on this trip to the cinema. The movie has already become a hit amongst viewers. Liam Clark, a Pace student who was prepared to give this movie a five-star rating before even seeing it says, “my favorite part was when the bear did cocaine.” If you choose to experience the wonders of Cocaine Bear, be prepared to laugh at things that shouldn’t be laughed at, brace yourself to see violence like you never have before, and make sure to go with friends so you have someone to understand what you went through in that cold, dark, Regal Cinemas (or AMC if you’re partial to Nicole Kidman).

Emilia Valencia is a general member of Her Campus at Pace University. She typically writes pieces covering television and movies in the comedy genre. Before she joined Her Campus, Emilia was a staff writer for her high school newspaper “The Franklin Post” in Portland, Oregon, where she primarily covered pop culture topics. She is currently a sophomore at Pace University in New York City, and is majoring in Communications and Media Studies with a minor in Film. It is her goal to become a television writer after she finishes university. In her free time, Emilia can be found practicing guitar, roller skating, and watching spooky movies (all at the same time!) While she is in no way fashion forward, she enjoys vintage shopping and giving new life to time-forgotten pieces. Emilia is a big music fan and enjoys listening to everything from The Beatles to Blackpink. She also considers herself quite skilled at shouting Jeopardy answers at the TV.