ryan gosling and margot robbie in barbie movie
Warner Bros

My 10 Roman Empires

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

​​TikTok trends come and go and I typically get a good laugh out of them. I don’t pay too much mind to the contents of the trend and just scroll to the next clip on my For You Page. However, a recent trend that I found especially compelling was some women asking men how often they thought about the Roman Empire. Initially, it seemed like a somewhat ridiculous and funny question, that is until I found out that most of these men think about the Roman Empire upwards of 3 times a week, some men even consider it daily and upon further investigation, I found multiple men with tattoos referencing the Roman Empire. I thought it was absolutely shocking that men pondered the Roman Empire this often but apparently, this is a topic of much importance. Soon after discovering this trend, I came across a creator by the screen name @sophisticatedspreads on TikTok who asked the question, “What is the female version of the Roman Empire?” She received thousands of replies to her question and it got me thinking, “What are my Roman Empires?” 

“Silver Springs” Live Performance

The first time I listened to the 2004 Remaster of “Silver Springs,” I wanted to violently scream. Stevie Nicks has such a haunting, profound voice it truly does make me emotional. However, my whole life nearly derailed once I watched the 1997 live performance at Warner Bros. Studio. The power in her voice as she warns Lindsey Buckingham of the depths of her love is simply marvelous. 

Salem Witch Trials

In my unprofessional opinion, this is proof that men have fragile egos. They were so bored and threatened by these women that they actually put them on trial. However, what consumes my curiosity is the question: were they actually possessed or just having a bad winter?   

Pompeii

As a child, I always had a strange fixation with the eruption of Mount Vesuvius that destroyed Pompeii and I would frequently ponder whether I believed I would be able to escape or not. Over the years, I’ve come to the conclusion that I definitely wouldn’t be able to escape the wrath of Mount Vesuvius. Additionally, the 2013 release of “Pompeii” by Bastille only added fuel to the fire for me.

Barbie: The Movie

When this movie initially came out, I watched it three times in one weekend and cried each time I saw it. There was something so beautiful about the unity of women and the defeat of the Kens. Something in me melted at the idea of girlhood and the concept of truly being a girl’s girl. I think this trait is so diluted in today’s society, but I’m so glad this movie called attention to the fact that women must support other women. Barbie is just such an iconic figure throughout history, paying honor to billions of women around the world and the montage made me sob violently. Mattel also just announced a Stevie Nicks Barbie so I know where my next paycheck is going.

My Pinterest

I think about my Pinterest constantly. Each board and sub-board is organized in a way that makes me absolutely ecstatic. My Pinterest is a cultivation of all my thoughts, laying out everything from ridiculous memes to inspiration for the napkins at my wedding. I’m a strong believer that Pinterest is for the girls because if a man were to see the depths of my Pinterest boards, he would definitely assume I was crazy. But, I’m not crazy, I’m literally just a teenage girl. 

Sofia Richie’s Rebrand to Sofia Richie Grainge

This keeps me up at night. The full 180-degree turn from Scott Discick’s type to Elliot Grainge’s type is absolutely astonishing to me not because she did it but because of how flawlessly she did it. Sofia Richie Grainge is now the epitome of class and style, and an idol to many when just six years ago, she was seen as Scott Disick’s naïve, Instagram model girlfriend. She has entered her Audrey Hepburn era in full force.

Getting Kidnapped

Honestly, if you’re a woman and you don’t think about getting kidnapped once a day, are you really living the female experience? Sometimes I get so paranoid, I think someone will swing into my 55 John Street window like Spiderman and just take me. Hopefully, I never get kidnapped, but if I do, I really hope I have my phone because my private story would be so funny.

Marilyn Monroe

As a woman, I believe I’m wired to think about certain female icons such as Princess Diana, Britney Spears, Audrey Hepburn, Beyoncé, and so on. However, I will always go back to Marilyn Monroe. She came from virtually nothing and earned her fame. As glamorous as her story seems from the outside, it is really heartbreaking and I find it sad that as one of the most photographed individuals of all time, her story isn’t told as often as it should be.  

2005 Pride & Prejudice

Not the BBC version. The 2005 Kiera Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen version. The tension in this movie is just unmatched. It beautifully depicts both girlhood and romance…even though it takes place during the Napoleonic Wars, but still valid. Even just the shot of Mr. Darcy stretching his hand is perfect. This movie was written from the female gaze and in my opinion that makes every movie 10 times better.

Anna Delvey

She had an idea. I don’t think it was the most fool-proof idea but it was still an idea. Afterall, I support women’s rights and women’s wrongs. I think a lot about Anna Delvey, a con artist who showed just how easily high society could be punctured and she delivered some great fashion looks while doing so.

Sierra is a freshmen, Digital Marketing major and a Graphic Design minor at Pace University. She is a first year staff writer for Her Campus at Pace and enjoys writing more humorous pieces about pop culture. In the past, Sierra has written for her high school newsletter known as "The Dawg Print" and taken several journalism classes and she is looking forward to expanding on this background. In addition to Her Campus at Pace, Sierra is also a new member of the American Marketing Association at Pace and the P.A.C.E. Board. She enjoys brainstorming for both these clubs and especially likes that they expose her to people of all backgrounds and stories. Outside of school and work Sierra spends most of her time listening to music, watching romantic comedies, binging sit-coms, shopping for clothes she probably doesn’t need, going to museums, or exploring new places to eat. She likes a variety of different musical artists and will never turn down the opportunity to go to a concert. Sierra frequently watches the movies A Rainy Day in New York and Breakfast at Tiffany’s but is no stranger to shows such as The Office and New Girl. Sierra is also interested in museum hopping however her favorite exhibits remain at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.