The Museum of Ice Cream, a Must-See NYC Pop-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

As New York City begins to slowly reopen, many events and attractions are also opening safely, and per state guidelines. One that has recently done so is the infamous Museum of Ice Cream (MOIC). Located in Soho, this pop-up experience has become the new destination for people looking to get lost in all of the sugary attractions. 

With new “corona-era” rules in place to keep visitors safe, it is easy to say that the experience will still be good. They have increased sanitation stations, limited the number of visitors for each time slot, and require everyone to wear gloves. The goal is for a stress-free experience while also having fun. One thing to note is that it’s not quite a “museum” as the name presumes, but more of an interactive installation. Next to the three-story slide are short trivia questions about the history of ice cream, but that’s about it. People go for the enjoyment aspect rather than to gain more knowledge.

I went to the MOIC right before the city shut down and was one of the last people to experience the exhibit in all of its glory. Regardless of the current measures in place, it’s hard not to instantly become a “kid in a candy store,” or more like a “kid in an ice cream shop.” The bright pink exterior is hard to miss and immediately draws your eye into the equally pink interior. From there, the day of fun begins and so does your ice cream consumption. 

One thing to expect when going to the MOIC is the countless picture opportunities that will make your social media profile give off main-character energy. Some of the staple exhibit rooms include an aesthetically pleasing, MOIC themed subway car, a room full of bananas, and even a sprinkle pool equipped with a slide and diving board. The rooms also have a correlating ice cream flavor with most of them. The beehive room, for example, had honey-flavored ice cream that was absolutely amazing. There are quite a few ice cream stations throughout the exhibit so by the time you leave, the sugar high really kicks in. 

No matter what age you are, the Museum of Ice Cream will exceed your expectations. The staff are committed to making the exhibits as inclusive as possible to make sure everyone can have fun. The whole experience allowed my inner child to come out and forget all my worries at the door. If you like ice cream, this is the place to go. If you want to fill your camera roll with super fun and unique pictures of your experience, this is definitely the place to go. If nothing else, go to feel the sense of wonderment that comes with any NYC pop-up. I promise you won’t regret it.

Hey everyone! My name is Molly Rosaaen and I am junior at Pace University NYC. I am double majoring in Political Science and Women's & Gender Studies.