Meet Marvel’s Newest Star: Moon Knight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Spoilers ahead for episode 1 of Moon Knight 

The newest Marvel series Moon Knight premiered on March 30, 2022, bringing a new era to Marvel. The show is different from the previous series as it is the first Marvel show to truly focus on mental health. I have been excited about this series ever since its announcement. Partially because I love Marvel and also because I love Oscar Isaac. This series will take Marvel fans in a new direction and gives Oscar Isaac the recognition he deserves.

Moon Knight (Oscar Isaac) has multiple identities due to his dissociative identity disorder. In the first episode, we start with Steven Grant, a nerdy and quiet historical buff who works in a museum gift shop. We can tell Steven gets pushed around and is not our typical hero. The episode quickly turns as Grant is thrown into a cult-like village and is being hunted. In this village, we meet Arthur, who is judging fates and killing people from the goddess of Ammets decisions. Arthur calls Grant a mercenary and asks him to return the scarab. Here the audience overhears a male voice not allowing Grant to give over. The next scene cuts to a bloody Steven and the village fighting. The pattern of an alter personality taking over during the cut-scenes begins, and Grant takes off in a cupcake van as “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” by Wham! plays. This scene was one of my favorites as it truly shows the differing personalities of Moon Knight, and the transitions between identities are perfect. However, it is all cut short as Grant awakens, and he assumes it is a crazy dream. 

However, Steven Grant has missed two days, his date, and his one-finned goldfish now has two fins. He stumbles upon a phone and is introduced to his other personality, Marc Spector. After realizing this, Steven’s home trembles, and we see some crazy delusions of demons that Steven is seeing. 

Returning to work, Arthur finds Steven and brings disciples of Ammet. Arthur threatens to tear Steven apart with a demon. Steven runs into a bathroom, and we finally see Marc in the mirror. Watching Marc convince Steven to let him take over the body was one of the coolest Marvel scenes. Watching Oscar Isaac play two personalities of the same character was perfect, and he shows how different these two identities are. Steven lets Marc take over the body, and we finally see Moon Knight in his full costume! His costume is one of my favorites. Marc easily destroys the demon sent by Arthur. 

The episode leaves off with Moon Knight walking toward the camera. I loved this episode, and I am so excited to see how Oscar Isaac portrays these two different identities. 

Later Gators! 

Marvel’s Moon Knight is now streaming on Disney+

Hi everyone! I'm Alysa and I am the former Campus Correspondent for HC Pace NYC. I majored in Communication Studies and minored in Sociology & Anthropology and Arts & Entertainment Management. Within my articles you can find everything I love to write including, pop culture, sports, politics, and my personal NYC experiences! Feel free to connect with me on my socials!