Living This Holiday Season Like It’s 2003

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

As a 2003 baby, that time period holds a special place in my heart, as they do for older Gen Z-ers who grew up in the 2000s. Since the start of the decade, there has been a huge resurgence in early 2000s nostalgia. While this is partly because of the 20-year trend cycle working its magic, for those born before 2006, there is a sense of comfort when thinking back to our childhood during the holiday season. The holiday time was always so magical and such a unique experience. Spending the majority of my teen years in the 2010s during the peak of ‘90s nostalgia, was fun and I truly do admire its fashion and pop culture, but I always felt a sense of disconnect. Yet, this time it feels different. I feel the nostalgia because I grew up in it. Most Gen Z-ers who are old enough to remember growing up in the 2000s understand the sense of comfort one feels when seeing the fashion trends you couldn’t wait to wear as a child become popular again in your adulthood.

But why exactly are the 2000s so comforting and nostalgic to us? And why did everything, including the holidays, seem better back then? In my opinion, growing up during the first decade of the new millennium came with many benefits. While technology had advanced and the world was modernizing, the levels of technological advancement were nowhere near where they are today. The 2000s are comforting because they encapsulate the heart of humanity in a world where human connection was solely made face-to-face. I remember the joy of going to shopping malls during the holiday season. The line to visit Santa Claus wrapped around the first floor of the mall and the stores were packed with people holiday shopping and checking off items on Christmas lists. The Black Friday hustle and bustle was thrilling in the 2000s and early ‘10s, as people would wake up bright and early to go catch the good deals. While the lines were excruciating to go through and the crowds were overwhelming at times, that was what made the Black Friday experience so exciting. In a post-Amazon world, the shopping malls have become emptier. Now even those who have last-minute shopping can do it from the comfort of their own homes and pay a little extra for same-day shipping. The true essence of the holidays has been taken away from us by online shopping and Amazon Prime.

With streaming services having long surpassed the popularity of cable TV, there are no more comforting Christmas specials, and picking a holiday movie to watch on Netflix doesn’t give you the same feeling as going to Blockbuster or Redbox to rent out a movie. What probably made the holiday season lose its magic the most, however, is instant messaging and social media. Receiving annual Christmas cards and calling relatives and friends to wish them happy holidays was always a crucial part of the season, and in doing so you were given the chance to catch up and connect with one another. In the world of cell phones and social media, you can wish hundreds of people in your contacts happy holidays all just with a few clicks. While it’s more convenient, the gesture feels much more impersonal.

As a Muslim girl growing up in a predominantly Christian society, the one memory I was always fond of during the colder months of the year was snow days. In a post-Covid world, students in grade school don’t even get to experience the joys of sleeping in and going playing out in the snow because they have to attend their classes remotely.

I’m tired of having uneventful holiday experiences and as 2023 comes to an end, I’m striving to go through the holidays like it’s 2003. We can’t turn back time 20 years, but we can bring back the comforting feeling. As the queen of the early 2000s, Lorelai Gilmore would say, “I smell snow.” And I absolutely will be following her first snowfall of the season tradition. For those who don’t mind the cold, grab some donuts and some hot coffee and walk through the snow like a Gilmore Girl. Going out in the snow and embracing it instantly makes me feel connected to the joy I would get as a child when I would go playing in the snow on a day off. Not only is this activity nostalgic, but it can also help you connect with your inner child.

Television is something else you can add to the list of “things that were better 20 years ago.” The late ‘90s and 2000s produced some of the best feel-good movies to date. Along the list of movies that came out in the 2000s, a plethora of them are holiday-related, and watching these can make you feel the wholesome 2000s feeling you’re searching for. My sister and I make sure to watch Christmas with the Kranks every year during the holiday season because it encapsulates everything we loved about our childhood festivities. Watching holiday movies like Elf and Polar Express brings back our childhood memories and also gets us in the holiday spirit. But you don’t just have to stop at movies; the iconic Thanksgiving episodes of Friends are some of the most talked about episodes in the whole show, and who wouldn’t wanna watch the lightning confessions scene again? You surely can’t miss Lorelai and Rory trying “tofurkey” or the dramatic dinner table scene in Gossip Girl for the millionth time. Surrounding yourself with the wholesome and hearty movies and shows of the 2000s is probably the best way to achieve that feeling you’ve been longing for.

This goes without saying, but something you absolutely must do if you want to achieve that old holiday feeling is going to the mall! In a post-Covid world, in-person shopping has become so rare. One of the best parts of the holidays is the gift-giving. Seeing your friends and family smile when opening the gift you so thoughtfully picked out for them is my favorite part of the holidays. When you go searching for a gift in person, rather than browsing online, it feels like you’ve worked harder for the gift and, therefore, you get more excited to give the present away. If you’re a fan of Black Friday, try to go out this year and leave the online shopping for Cyber Monday.

While I will never get to experience an elementary school classroom party ever again, I can bring back the magic and spirit of the holidays by putting down our devices, going outside, and connecting with one another.

Sheila Rafizadeh participates actively in Pace University's Her Campus. She is currently a junior majoring in criminal justice with a minor in pre-law. Sheila works as a staff writer for the Pace Press, the campus newspaper, in addition to Her Campus. For the academic year 2023–2024, she also serves on the university's social justice committee. Outside of school she is also a part-time volunteer at her local animal shelter that she’s been working at since high school. Sheila’s also an active member of the University’s Muslim Student Association as well as the Criminal Justice Society, and is on the Pre-Law track. Some of Sheila’s interests include reading, listening to music, and playing the guitar. She’s been playing piano, bass, and violin since she was a child and is very eager to write album reviews and music related articles for Her Campus. In the future she hopes to go to law school on her path to becoming a family lawyer