Khloe Rose on Musical Inspirations, Young Romance, & the Release of her First Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Khloe Rose, a singer-songwriter from Northern California, has just released her first single, “Fictional,” on April 21. It first became popular on Tiktok in February 2021, and has led to her working with Columbia Records to officially release the song. The song already has over 1.5 million plays on Spotify alone, and the accompanying music video has more than 300k views on YouTube. It is incredibly inspirational to see this talented young woman being successful and breaking into the industry in this age of nepo-babies receiving undivided attention. 

“Fictional” is an anthem for those of us who grew up with One Direction posters covering our walls, or a Harry Potter obsession, or a TV show that you liked so much you couldn’t think of anything else. You can feel the hurt behind the lyrics of the song, but also the comfort that comes with having ways to escape from the reality of young love. Emma Huffman, 18, a Pace University acting student, feels the song is a way for young women and girls to feel solidarity in the things they enjoy: “Girls are so often hated on for being fans of things, and there’s a comfort in this song, seeing that others have that shared experience. It shows that you’re allowed to enjoy things without it being a comment on your character.” In the wake of the release of “Fictional,” I was fortunate enough to be able to chat with Khloe about her music.

Her Campus: What was the process of writing Fictional like?

Khloe Rose: I wrote “Fictional” when I was 16, and at that age I was really struggling with the concept of love and being in a relationship. I think when we’re that young, boys are held to a much lower standard and we’re expected to accept their behavior just because they’re immature and young, even when they’re mean, disrespectful, and degrading. I always felt very disappointed by this idea, and because of it, I didn’t really want to think about dating at that age, but I was also such a huge hopeless romantic at the same time. I find that people, especially women, are made fun of for their consumption of media in the romance genre, as it isn’t really taken seriously, when in reality, having this escape can be very vital in order to push through the disappointment we feel in our real life romances. This is kind of the thought process that led me to write “Fictional;”  I wanted to represent that longing for escape in a fun “poppy” way. 

HC: Who are your biggest musical inspirations?

KR: My biggest musical inspiration has always been Taylor Swift. She is arguably one of the biggest reasons I set my sights on this career path at four years old. Her performance of “Should’ve Said No” at the 2009 ACM seriously changed my life! Avril Lavigne was another huge inspiration for me as a kid. More recently, I find myself taking inspiration from Gracie Abrams; I literally listen to her discography every single day. Lizzy McAlpine and Lewis Capaldi are also artists that I really love and admire.

HC: What has been the most rewarding/your favorite part of the process of getting “Fictional” to where it is now?

KR: I think the most rewarding part of getting “Fictional” to where it is now is finally getting to work on music in a professional setting with Alex Hope. I feel more confident and at home in the recording studio than I feel anywhere else. Recording and releasing “Fictional” has reaffirmed that this is the thing I was meant to do, there’s nothing else I’m as good at. Seeing the dedication and love from my supporters has also been the most surreal thing ever, they gave this song a debut that I could have never even dreamed of!

HC: If you’re allowed to talk about it, what’s next for you? 

KR: I’m not sure what I can officially say yet, but I will say that there is more music, there is more to come for “Fictional,” and I’m very excited for this next year, so keep your eyes and ears open for news. 

“Fictional” is currently available on Spotify, Apple Music, and Youtube. For updates on future music, you can follow Khloe Rose on Instagram and Tiktok

Emilia Valencia is a general member of Her Campus at Pace University. She typically writes pieces covering television and movies in the comedy genre. Before she joined Her Campus, Emilia was a staff writer for her high school newspaper “The Franklin Post” in Portland, Oregon, where she primarily covered pop culture topics. She is currently a sophomore at Pace University in New York City, and is majoring in Communications and Media Studies with a minor in Film. It is her goal to become a television writer after she finishes university. In her free time, Emilia can be found practicing guitar, roller skating, and watching spooky movies (all at the same time!) While she is in no way fashion forward, she enjoys vintage shopping and giving new life to time-forgotten pieces. Emilia is a big music fan and enjoys listening to everything from The Beatles to Blackpink. She also considers herself quite skilled at shouting Jeopardy answers at the TV.