This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

I take karaoke very seriously; I don’t mess around. This list is my pride and joy. My qualifications to provide such a list are: I have my own karaoke machine (to practice, duh), I make all my friends sing duets with me, and my mom and I have had a sticky note containing our go-to songs for years (you never know when you’ll need to entertain). I can’t count all the times I’ve had an opportunity to sing karaoke and didn’t because I didn’t know what to sing. This is your key to never having that happen to you.

“You’re So Vain” by Carly Simon

“You’re So Vain” has been my go-to song for as long as I can remember. It is the perfect song to divide into a duet or perform as a solo. Everyone knows it, thanks to the 2003 romcom, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days. You can’t not dance when singing this song, and that’s a rule. I truly believe this song was made for karaoke.

“Complicated” by Avril Lavigne

This song has the perfect early 2000s vibes. Singing it instantly transports you into the setting of a romcom, in particular, Uptown Girls. The song has also always given me Starstruck vibes, which makes it even more enjoyable. I believe any Avril Lavigne song is perfect for karaoke.

“Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper

A crowd favorite. Everyone knows this song for a reason. It’s perfect for belting out and just having fun with. Once again, this can be turned into a duet, but I think it’s better as a solo. I’ve been intimidated in the past by this song, but I’ve never regretted giving it my best shot. Cause at the end of the day, “Girls just wanna have fun,” and sing karaoke.

“Santeria” by Sublime

This isn’t your traditional karaoke song, but I strongly recommend considering it as your next. It’s so entertaining to sing it and hear it be sung. I may be biased, as Sublime was my top artist on Apple Replay, but I believe you can never go wrong with Sublime. It’s perfect for every situation.

“Like a Prayer” by Madonna

This song will never do you wrong and is probably my mom’s favorite song for karaoke. Once again, perfect for a duet or a solo moment. When in doubt, sing Madonna. She’s too iconic to ever steer you wrong. The only rule is you must give it your all and belt it out. This is your main character moment.

Cassidy Burry is originally from northern California and is a current freshman at Pace University. She is majoring in Communications and Media and planning on picking up a minor in journalism. She is a member of Her Campus Pace. Throughout her childhood she has collected various magazines, and Vogue in particular has been a great inspiration in her decision to pursue journalism. Cassidy loves spending time with kids. Over the summer she was a summer camp counselor, at Camp Winnarainbow. Before that she worked at a school program. That involved taking kids, ages four through seven, to different parks, beaches, and other locations native to northern California. They would focus on teaching the kids the importance of the environment and how to leave it better than we found it. They regularly would clean up the beaches and parks they visited. Cassidy has always had a love for her community and giving back. She spent a large majority of her time in high school volunteering at a kitchen and garden that grew and produced meals. These meals would go to patients and their families that were suffering from chronic illnesses and diseases. They would be curated to help aid with their healing and recovery process. In her free time she enjoys all forms of art. She has a special interest in fiber arts, specifically crocheting and knitting. She loves poetry and reading all types of books. Cassidy has a deep love for music ranging from all genres. She was actually named after the song “Cassidy '' by the Grateful Dead. She has found that being named after that legendary band has brought meaningful connections to her everyday life. For the majority of her childhood she played competitive soccer. And now that she is no longer playing herself, she looks forward to the Women’s World Cup every four years. She hopes that women in sports will gain more recognition in the future, and will not be seen as second to men’s sport.