Journaling Prompts for Heavy Hearts and Foggy Minds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

The current chaotic climate of the world often bubbles up feelings of anxiousness, uncertainty, and panic with limited grip on control. Adding the stress of school, midterms, and the still very apparent social adjustments, emotions can heat up quickly, edging on boiling over. Journaling has been a vital outlet for most of my life, but lately I’ve needed to hone in on specific needs and emotions I am overthinking. I am going to share some of my favorite journaling prompts to help with specific struggles occurring in young adults. These have really aided me in deciphering how to tackle these important, heavy feelings. 

Motivational Mornings:

• What do you appreciate most about your life right now? Why?
  • What is something heavy and unhealthy you need to release or change in your life?
  • Choose one word you want to show others today. [For example: If you choose generous, give your roommate a kind, inspiring note on her bathroom mirror or buy your friend in class a coffee]

Being a Catalyst for Your Desired Future:

• Are you more spontaneous or a planner? 
  • Write down goals/hopes you have for the future, and then write down goals/hopes you used to have that are accomplished. 
  • Write down 5 things you are looking forward to this semester. 

A Clear Mind and Steady Heart: 

• What are 3 things I want to feel today?
  • What are 3 things I can do to support those feelings?
  • What are 5 things I am grateful for?
  • What are my current, deepest loves? 
  • What are 3 things I want to get done today?

Sweet, Loving Devotion to Your Body:

• What are 5 qualities you love about yourself?
  • What are 5 physical attributes of your body you love? 
  • Write about a time you felt beautiful.
  • What outfits or makeup or hair-styles make you feel the best?
  • When was the last time you felt unconditional love for yourself?
  • How can you show your soul, mind, heart, and body more appreciation and love?
coffee drinking, Taylor Swift loving, crazy dancing, book reading, nyc dreaming twenty year old student!! (as kindly described by her bestie Katie)<3