Career > Work

Interview With Michael Shishmanian: A Look Into the Mind of a Talented Tattoo Shop Owner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Ever since I was a young girl, I was no stranger to the world of tattoos. I knew the moment I turned 18 I would be booking an appointment to get my first piece. However, upon being old enough to get a tattoo, I ran into the newbie dilemma of knowing exactly what I wanted but not having a clue as to who would execute it properly. Luckily, one night I was having dinner with my aunt and uncle, and the topic was brought up. They had no doubt when they told me, “Go to Shish.” Michael Shishmanian just so happened to be an extremely talented friend of my uncle’s. Now, after two remarkable pieces and upwards of ten hours being worked on by him, I can confidently say that Shish is a friend of mine as well. 

Michael Shishmanian, as known as “Shish” is 39 years old and the owner of Twin Tides Tattoo, located in Wappingers Falls, NY (942 NY-376 Suite 14, Wappingers Falls, NY 12590). On top of that, he is also a father and is incredibly devoted to his family. It is safe to say Shish is a very busy man, so I am honored to have been given the time and opportunity to interview him. With over 12,000 followers on his personal Instagram account (@shishmania) and nearly 8,000 followers on his business account (@twintidestattoo) Shish has managed to build himself an incredible platform with a plethora of happy, loyal customers. He has had clients come from all over the country, trusting him to execute their dreams of decorating their bodies. Personally, I would say it is worth any kind of trip to experience the vibe of Shish’s shop as well as having work done by him. 

Where Michael Shishmanian’s journey began: To preface the interview, I asked Shish why he decided to become a tattoo artist as well as how old he was when he began his profession. He told me how he had been listening to rock and roll, specifically heavy metal since he was very young. He remembers seeing posters of popular bands in the late ‘80s and being astonished by the band members’ appearances. “They were all covered in tattoos and looked like no one I knew in my actual life,” Shish says. This left a pretty powerful impact on young Shish, “The idea that you could literally change your vessel to look however it is you’d like to present yourself to the world; like magical armor that is unique to you.” It wasn’t until his teens that he learned more about the world of tattooing. He began to read articles and collect magazines on other artists’ work. He was 23 when he could finally afford the quality of work ] he was seeking out and got his first tattoo. That same year, he started his first apprenticeship at a tattoo shop. “I got tattooed a lot in the first couple years and spent most of my time, energy, and money diving headfirst into the craft,” says Shish, “It’s been a long beautiful journey since then.” 

Pros and cons of the profession: I further asked Shish what his favorite and least favorite parts of his profession are, as well as gained some insight into tattoo artists’ biggest pet peeves. In response to his favorites, Shish replies, “I love meeting new people, making new friends from all walks of life, and getting to bring their ideas to fruition.” He goes on to say that he appreciates the trust people put in him every day of his career. “I never forget how special it is for my clients, whether the tattoo is a small one or a complete body suit.” He says that, to him, he has the best job in the world and that he truly loves what he does. He enjoys that there is no limit to the quality of work he can learn to achieve. “I wake up every day striving to be better than the day before, and it keeps me super motivated,” he says. 

However, Shish says, “Every job comes with its fair share of b*llsh*t.” Between 60 hours a week on a combination of tattooing, research, and drawing, as well as balancing work, social, and family life, Shish takes on a constant challenge. “But they don’t show you that on the TV shows,” Shish continues, “free time is not a thing, but it sure beats working in a corporate setting.” On top of the workload, there are people that make the industry less than perfect from time to time. Shish discusses the topic of no-call no-shows after he’s put his time and effort into designs for them. “I spend a lot of time preparing for folks, so it’s a huge bummer when they don’t show up,” he says. As far as the artwork itself goes, Shish is comfortable enough to take on designs that he feels he will execute the best, “I’m lucky enough to be so busy doing projects I love that I don’t take on work that I think another artist would be great at or serve the client’s interest better.” In terms of the tattooing industry, Shish’s biggest pet peeve is the number of huge egos within the business. He says, “too many tattooers forget that the whole point of our craft is to give the client a great experience. Without the folks who support us, we are nothing.” 

Why he recommends Twin Tides Tattoo: Shish’s demeanor and work obviously speak for themselves, but I wanted to know his perspective on why his shop goes above and beyond. Shish’s talents are diverse in the world of tattooing, but he gravitates towards illustrative and neo-tradition styles, “realistic in its proportions yet the technique is rooted in traditional tattooing and making sure my work looks great not only next week but 40 years from now,” Shish says. However, when he began his craft he jumped right into learning every style, from geometric to tribal to portrait work in order to fit each client’s needs, he states, “this versatility has helped me get my technical abilities to where they are today.” Shish puts his absolute all into giving each of his clients an amazing experience, as well as bringing their tattoo dreams to reality. Along with Shish, his lifelong friend, Tommy, who works at Twin Tides, they create an unmatched vibe as well as pump out incredible tattoos. Shish says, “the atmosphere at our shop is super laid back and welcoming. Lots of laughs and hugs going around beside the great quality tattooing.”

His advice to aspiring tattoo artists: As much as Shish loves his profession, he would not recommend it to anyone who is on the fence, stating, “if someone loves it the way that I do, I won’t deter them from carving out their path.” However, he does warn newcomers about the lack of retirement benefits, health insurance, and the onslaught of physical and emotional stress tied to this career. But Shish still has advice for those who have their heart set, “being immersed in the culture is the best way to get the ball rolling.” Getting tattooed regularly, building relationships with those in the profession, drawing constantly, and getting an apprenticeship at a reputable shop are all great ways to do so. These are Shish’s tips on getting one’s foot in the door in the world of tattooing, “the market is saturated with wannabe tattooers these days, so most shops do not offer apprenticeships.” The best way to combat this is to become a regular at a shop and build friendships there. “A genuine love for it and a good attitude will get you far. If you’re easily discouraged and quick to quit, this isn’t the job for you.” 

It has been my absolute pleasure to have both been tattooed by Shish, and being able to speak with him professionally to make this interview happen has provided so much insight as an outsider to the profession who is simply working on their own “magical armor.” He is such a talented, genuine man, and I would recommend him to anybody with big aspirations as far as tattoos go. I’m hoping to be back in his shop as soon as possible to begin my next piece. Until then, I hope to shed some light on what is a truly talented tattoo artist means. 

Pace University NYC student. English education major. I collect rocks, crochet shirts and think about the universe. I also have a bearded dragon.