Life > Academics

Internships Versus Research: Which Is Worth Your Time?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

As an undergraduate student, I worked on multiple research projects, where I acted as a research assistant in three different capacities, and completed two senior capstones. I have also held two separate internships, both within advocacy work. I was fortunate enough to have the financial flexibility and workload balance to allow me to focus solely on these areas of my studies. I recognize this is a privilege and am grateful for these opportunities. 

I know many students cannot participate in internships and research opportunities for various reasons. Research and internship experiences look different for everyone, and there are many different factors and options in deciding which route to go. So how do you decide which to focus on? Below are my key takeaways from each experience. My hope is that these notes will help others gain insight into which option will best support their studies.

Internships: 

• Provides hands-on experience in the desired field 
  • Aids in deciding if the career path is right for your desires
  • Opens doors to networking and can create job opportunities
  • In New York City, many paid internships are available
  • Usually shorter time commitments (ex: 10-weeks, semester-long)
  • Builds professional experience on resume
  • Can apply with support from career resources or individually
  • Some majors and the Pforzheimer Honors College at Pace University offer class credit for internships
  • Can overlap with volunteer work and civic engagement

Research:

• Original work is often self-paced
  • Requires faculty mentorship; building academic relationships
  • Opportunities to publish and present the work; connecting with a large community 
  • Research assistantships are usually paid
  • Original work can receive grants, both from Pace and outside resources
  • Pace has a dedicated Center for Undergraduate Research Experiences
  • Projects can be long-term
  • Projects can support senior capstone requirements or other course-based projects
  • Opportunity to foster creativity and curiosity

Based on my experiences, both research and internships are extremely beneficial  – neither is the wrong choice. Ultimately in my opinion, research benefits academia, and internships open professional doors. Regardless of which you choose, you will grow as a person and student in these opportunities. If neither of these options appeals to you, consider fellowships, workshops, volunteer work, and certification programs.

Madison Turunen is a student of the Class of 2023 at Pace University, on the New York City campus. She is double majoring in History and Peace & Justice Studies with minors in Women & Gender Studies and Politics. Someday she hopes to go into human rights advocacy. She is a huge activist and environmentalist, with a lean towards gender equality and peace-building. As a part of Her Campus, she has published articles on lifestyle, entertainment, wellness, and news.