This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Music is used in our daily lives, whether we realize it or not. Music is used to create emotion, entertain a setting, and influence the way you should think in certain situations. For example, in an action movie, you would probably hear exciting and fast-paced music playing during a climactic scene. The music in the scene influences your mind to think that the characters are at the epitome of doing something dangerous and hardcore. Just think if the same action scene delivered a musical performance of “In the Arms of an Angel” by Sarah McLachlan. The tone would be completely offsetting and confusing. Another example is a scene of lovers breaking up: if the music being played in the background was a slow or sad song, you’re more likely to feel heartbroken by the scene. However, if the song in the background displayed independence and happiness, your thinking would change to seeing the situation as a good thing. So how does this relate to every day? We know movies are supposed to set the scene with music but you do the same thing in your everyday lives even if it unintentional.

People tend to listen to music that will either influence their mood or help them feel connected. When someone is happy, they tend to play more upbeat music for a more recognizable response in their mind, but when someone is sad and want to feel uplifted, the same music could be used to change their thinking at the moment. Often times someone might listen to sad music in order to gauge their feelings in need for comfort and a form of familiarity.

It’s not just individually, but in group settings as well. When a group of friends is going to a party they tend to listen to more popularized and upbeat music to set everyone’s thinking in the same mode. Everyone wants to feel energized at a party so music that portrays the same upbeat energy is often played. Typically groups of people indulge in more energetic or popularized music no matter the situation, unless in cases where trust has been built in the group. When there is a group of familiar people in a trusting environment, people will be more involved in the music emotionally. The type of music people listens to sets boundaries for relationships because it can be characterized as a part of who you are as a person. Have you ever decided not to play a song or genre of music because of the people or person you are around?

The more you listen to a song or certain genre of music, the more inclined you are to behave in the same manner of that song.  Popularized music that plays on the radio is widely known to set the mood. For example, when music is popularized it normally has a theme, making money, staying independent, and being humble was popular in the year of 2017. This influenced people all over the United States to focus on obtaining “the bag” by making “silent moves” and forgetting “fake people”. This is why I believe that music influences people’s minds more than we think it does, individually, in group settings, and nationwide. Music also determines moods and interactions with people, and general behaviors accordingly. Be wary of the music you listen to, because it can influence your thinking and behaviors before you even realize it.

I am a student at Pace University majoring in marketing and minoring in fashion marketing. I love to create connections with people and create a unified vision to give everyone a voice of empowerment. I would like to consider myself an outgoing and personable person who cares about the world's problems and has innovative ideas. I love adventures and finding hidden talents within people and around the globe. I am most passionate about the visuals of the world because everything is based on our own perception, so being able to give people a perception of good intention is the only thing I could truly ask for.