This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

As a hopeless romantic, rom-coms hold a special place in my heart. They captivate us all with their unique blend of love, humor, and relatable situations. These films explore the intricacies of relationships and allow you to immerse yourself in a feel-good narrative. While many deem that rom-coms often present idealized versions of love and are detached from reality, I believe they inspire us to believe in the possibility of extraordinary love stories. In a world filled with uncertainty, romcoms remind us to cherish the beauty of human connection, providing a comforting oasis where the power of love prevails. While beloved classics like When Harry Met Sally and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days are celebrated and loved, there is a trove of underrated rom-coms that I believe deserve more recognition.  Here’s my dive into the treasure chest of underrated rom-coms with my top five that I believe should be shown some extra love. 

27 Dresses

27 Dresses is a romantic comedy that follows the story of Jane (Katherine Heigl), a woman who has been a bridesmaid 27 times but has never been the bride. As she navigates her sister’s wedding and falls for a wedding reporter named Kevin (James Marsden), she starts to question her own love life. 

I absolutely adore this movie! It’s filled with hilarious and heartwarming moments and the scene of Jane and Kevin performing “Benny and the Jets” has lived rent-free in my head since I was 13. This movie is definitely one of the more popular ones on my list, but it’s just too good not to include!

Before Sunrise

Before Sunrise takes place over the course of one night in Vienna. The film tells the story of Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delpy), two strangers who meet on a train and decide to spend the day exploring the city together. As they wander the streets, they engage in deep conversations about life, love, and everything in between. 

Before Sunrise is one of my all-time favorite rom-coms. The dialogue is witty, and the chemistry between the main characters is undeniable. It makes it feel like you’re watching two strangers actually fall in love. Whenever I watch it, I feel as if I’m intruding on a date. The film is incredibly beautiful and perfectly captures the uncertainty of relationships and falling in love. 

Little Italy

Little Italy is a light, delightful rom-com that will leave you smiling. Nikki (Emma Roberts) and Leo (Hayden Christensen) are two childhood friends and children of rival New York pizzeria owners. They reunite in their neighborhood of Little Italy and discover feelings for each other amidst their families’ pizza rivalry. 

While this movie is very cheesy (get it?), it’s incredibly funny and endearing. It’s one of my favorite movies from when I was younger, and the fact that Hayden Christensen was one of the leads definitely helped! Little Italy is just a fun, feel-good rom-com all around.

He’s Just Not That Into You

He’s Just Not That Into You is a relatable rom-com that explores the complexities of modern dating. The film follows the interconnected lives of several characters as they navigate the ups and downs of love and relationships. It’s full of stars such as Jennifer Aniston, Ben Affleck, Scarlett Johansson, and Bradley Cooper. 

I hardly hear anyone talk about this movie, but it’s hilarious and witty. It’s entertaining while also being realistic, offering a mix of heartfelt moments.

Letters to Juliet

Letters to Juliet is a heartwarming rom-com that follows the journey of Sophie (Amanda Seyfried), a young woman who discovers an unanswered letter to Shakespeare’s Juliet in Verona. Intrigued, she embarks on a mission to find the letter’s author and reunite the writer with her lost love while discovering one herself. 

It takes you on a picturesque adventure through the stunning landscapes of Italy, while also exploring themes of love, destiny, and second chances. This film makes me want to book a trip to Italy every single time I watch it, but it doesn’t get the recognition it deserves. I remember watching this for the first time and wanting to go to Juliet’s wall in Verona to watch people write their love letters. It’s incredibly endearing and creates a perfect summer-love atmosphere.

Federica Furingo is a freshman at Pace University in New York City and member of Her Campus. She is majoring in Communications and Media Studies and hopes to minor in Public Relations. She is very passionate about writing and loves to express her thoughts and opinions on various musical artists, movies, and shows. Aside from Her Campus at Pace, Federica has owned an Etsy shop where she designed and created aesthetic bookmarks and candles. She managed a social media account for her business and engaged with authors and other Etsy business owners. She hopes one day to work in the Public Relations field. In her free time, Federica volunteers in her hometown with the Just4Kixs organization. She is tasked to help and teach soccer to children with autism. She finds this very enjoyable and loves to create a safe and welcome atmosphere wherever she goes. She is also an avid reader and spends a great time reading different genres such as fantasy and romance. She enjoys going to concerts, movies, hanging with friends, and playin guitar. You can probably find her walking her dog or blasting One Direction, occasionally both at the same time. Federica looks forward to writing articles for Her Campus and making new friends throughout the year.