Life > Experiences

Goths Night Out: Immersed in the World of Dracula

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Have you ever wanted to converse with the likes of Oscar Wilde and Mary Shelley? Or have you ever wanted to spend an evening at a masquerade, diving into the gothic world of Bram Stoker’s Dracula? New York City’s immersive Dreams of Dracula is all that and more. Creators Nicole Coady and Johnathan Albert have produced an avant-garde telling of the classic story that combines dance, theater, and all the spookiness of a haunted house. Guests are asked to dress in black-tie attire on weekends, which makes it a fun excuse to dress up. Although, it should be noted that if you plan to wear heels, you should feel comfortable walking and standing in them for the duration of the show.

Upon walking into the Musica Club in Hell’s Kitchen, you’re handed a gold masquerade mask which you are told to keep on for the rest of the experience. Once appropriately masked, you walk into Oscar Wilde’s salon, where you can play a game of chess, converse with gothic intellectuals, or enjoy a signature cocktail. After a brief but exciting introduction by Lord Byron and Oscar Wilde, guests are welcomed into Dracula’s Castle. Spectators walk through the castle, haunted house-style almost, and follow the story as it moves from set to set. The experience is incredible no matter how much you know about Dracula. However, due to the low-dialogue nature of the show, I recommend brushing up on your Bram Stoker lore before donning your gold mask.

Every actor was incredibly talented and I was in complete awe of their work. So much so that I watched Mina (who was played by Emma Ivy on this particular night) primping at a vanity in the bedroom set for five minutes before being told that it wasn’t important to the story. Be prepared to interact with the characters, as it’s very likely that you’ll be spoken to and touched by the actors. One of the friends I attended with was asked to dance during the ballroom scene. For me, the most interesting aspect of this experience was knowing that it has the potential to be different every night based on the audience, which is thrilling. Matt Rees, a Pace University Musical Theater student, is in the show as Quincy. Rees says, “My favorite part of the process was being able to collaborate with the cast. Being surrounded by talented artists who are equally as wonderful people made the entire process.” He is certainly an asset to the cast, and Pace MT is lucky to have him.

It’s difficult to capture the essence of this show without spoiling too many details. Dreams of Dracula is an incredibly worthwhile night out in the city. Rees notes, “it’s a great introduction to immersive theater and it’s an interesting blend of dialogue, dance, and fictional/historical figures.” So if you’re looking for an alternative to a traditional night out, take the C train to Transylvania.

Emilia Valencia is a general member of Her Campus at Pace University. She typically writes pieces covering television and movies in the comedy genre. Before she joined Her Campus, Emilia was a staff writer for her high school newspaper “The Franklin Post” in Portland, Oregon, where she primarily covered pop culture topics. She is currently a sophomore at Pace University in New York City, and is majoring in Communications and Media Studies with a minor in Film. It is her goal to become a television writer after she finishes university. In her free time, Emilia can be found practicing guitar, roller skating, and watching spooky movies (all at the same time!) While she is in no way fashion forward, she enjoys vintage shopping and giving new life to time-forgotten pieces. Emilia is a big music fan and enjoys listening to everything from The Beatles to Blackpink. She also considers herself quite skilled at shouting Jeopardy answers at the TV.