This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Kacey Musgraves has returned to the music scene with her new single, “Deeper Well.” “Deeper Well” is about finding a deeper meaning in life while leaving bad influences and negative energies in the past. This song is the lead single for her upcoming album of the same name, dropping on March 15, 2024. 

The singer opens the song by stating, “My Saturn has returned / When I turned twenty-seven, everything started to change.” In Western astrology, a Saturn return is a pivotal moment in one’s life that occurs every 27 to 29 years. It is an intense period where everything can feel like a lesson, allowing one to gain the foresight they need to build structure and positive energy in their lives. While a Saturn return is a personal experience, it differs for everyone, but it can often represent new beginnings and a rebirth. Musgraves is hinting that she is starting a new chapter in her life. The singer continues to explain that she recognized that everyone she surrounded herself with was not necessarily good for her. She understands that to move on, she must let go of people or influences in her life. She sings about her drug usage with, “Roll out of bed, hit the gravity bong that I made,” and, “Everything I did seemed better when I was high / I don’t know why.” This isn’t the first time the Grammy winner has been open about her use of marijuana, as she has sung about it in multiple songs before. However, with this track, Musgraves has realized that this isn’t a productive moment for her. Instead, it can be that the country singer is reevaluating how often she uses drugs. Simply, the musician is conveying that she’s not dependent on the sensations marijuana can give someone. It seems that Musgraves has found healthier habits as she continues to move forward in life. In the chorus, she continues to communicate that she needs to take care of herself and clear out the dark energy in her life. The country singer expresses that she does not regret her actions and is happy that she has moved on. After listening to this song several times, I remember that water metaphorically can be linked to emotions. Perhaps the singer is revealing to the audience that she has a deeper source of emotions within her. Instead of relying on drugs to make her happy, she has found happiness within herself.

The release of this song has been a highlight of my week. Although I’m not the biggest fan of country music, there is a quality about Kacey Musgraves that I’ve always loved. She blends genres well and brings a refreshing sound to mainstream country music. Most notably, her album star-crossed was intertwined with genres such as psychedelic-pop, folk, and alternative rock. This country record brought a pleasant twist to an album discussing marriage, divorce, and love. With recent features of artists such as Zach Bryan and Noah Kahan, along with this new single, Musgraves seems to be approaching a more folk-centric sound. The country singer seems to be going back to her roots but continuing to improve her sound, which is beloved by many. The soft vocals and acoustic guitar featured in this song bring an enlivening sound, leaving me excited for the upcoming album.

PK Kennedy is an active member within Her Campus at Pace. They are a social media assistant and help oversee Her Campus at Pace’s Pinterest account and write weekly articles focusing on, but not limited to, local events, music, and film/television pieces. Outside of Her Campus, PK is a senior at Pace University (NYC) and is majoring in Communications and Media Studies with a double minor in Digital Marketing and Arts and Entertainment Management. Recently, PK has been delving into multiple social media and design platforms to further their knowledge about digital marketing. During this school year, and beyond graduation, they hope to continue to learn more about photoshop and video editing software. Beyond school, PK enjoys listening and discovering new music, enjoying a cup of coffee and a sweet treat, having hour-long conversations about Star Wars and/or Marvel. If not doing any of the items listed above, PK is most definitely “rotting” in bed and gaining more knowledge about astrology and rewatching their favorite movie/TV shows again.