Cusp of Clarity: “The World is not Beyond Saving”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Although I’m sure you’ve seen their iconic flyers scattered all around campus, you may still be wondering: what is Cusp of Clarity? After speaking to Cusp of Clarity’s founder, Aidann Gia, I was made aware of the objectives and impact of this fundraising initiative. While Aidann Gia is a Pace University student herself, and Cusp of Clarity is made up predominantly of Pace students, she informed me that this club extends much farther than the streets of this university. She explained that while many of the group’s events are held at Pace, there are people involved in the mission from various parts of New York, Washington D.C, and even Calgary, Canada, and though she mainly encourages 18 to 25-year-olds to attend their events, individuals of all ages can get involved. 

Aidann Gia started Cusp of Clarity as a freshman at Pace University in 2022. Prior to her freshman year, she had struggled with mental illness and this eventually inspired her to create the fundraising unit with a specific focus on discussing the realities of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). Initially, her attempts to spread mental health awareness were channeled into a podcast. However, she wasn’t achieving the results that she had hoped for and wanted to bring the cause to a community level. So, Political Science and Peace and Justice double major Aidann Gia focused on creating a brand for Cusp of Clarity, creating the group’s adorable mascot, Mauve (based on an actual teddy bear owned by Aidann Gia). Additionally, she began hosting Charcuterie Board Nights on interchangeable evenings, with a suggested entrance fee, allowing people to “speed-friend” and discuss the intersectionality of global issues while raising money for good. Currently, all the money being raised at Cusp of Clarity events in New York City is being donated to Soar Over Hate, a non-profit aiming to minimize anti-Asian sentiments.     

Cusp of Clarity, although not currently an independent non-profit organization, hopes to become one in the near future. In the meantime, the group continues to fundraise for various non-profits, their motto being, “the world is not beyond saving.” In the past, Cusp of Clarity has raised money for the World Resources Institute, the American Psychiatric Association, and the National Education Alliance for Borderline Personality Disorder. Presently, in addition to raising money for Soar Over Hate, Cusp of Clarity’s Washington D.C. Branch donates to the Mental Health Association of Maryland and the Calgary Branch donates to the Mustard Seed Foundation. The organization has been able to fundraise almost $6,000 for charity by just offering an environment and opportunities for people to hang out. 

Now, you may be wondering, “How can I support Cusp of Clarity’s initiative? Who is allowed to go to their community nights?While the events are inclusive, Aidann Gia does note that the group focuses on empowering youth. She explains that while some graduate students attend Cusp of Clarity’s community events, the majority of participants are undergraduate students, emphasizing that Cusp of Clarity is “run by students, for students.” Aidann Gia also recognized that middle and high schoolers are also welcome to get involved by tabling and fundraising in their schools, shouting out her little sister, Addison Bacolodan, 13, who greatly contributes to Cusp of Clarity’s mission by making posters, flyers, and posting on their social media accounts. The bottom line is that if you are passionate about the group’s initiative, there are multiple ways to get involved. The objective of the group isn’t just to eat cheese and hang out, but to encourage community growth and help individuals develop strong friendships.    

Another feature of Cusp of Clarity that makes it so unique is that there is no hierarchy. No one participant is valued above another. I feel that group politics often deter people from joining initiatives such as these but Aidann Gia explained that there are no e-board positions. Instead, responsibilities are allocated to several members of Cusp of Clarity. Aidann Gia recognizes that this group’s success couldn’t be achieved without help from participants such as Kelsie Martin, Shannon Conner, Marlie Capuano, Joseph Pogoda, and Anais Denuccio. 

All this being said, I wanted to experience a Cusp of Clarity event and give my honest review on the environment. I attended Cusp of Clarity’s Parlor Game Night, hosted at Pace University on Feb. 28, 2024. In all honesty, I can’t recall a time in which I have met such a nice and welcoming group of individuals, who are so passionate about making the world a better place. Aidann Gia kicked off the event by giving a brief background about the Lenape Nation that once inhabited the land we now know as Manhattan, outlining one of the group’s current missions to better educate Pace students and professors on the history of the land we live on. After this acknowledgment, we jumped right into games. This was such a fun, low-pressure environment. Don’t feel intimidated to attend one of their future events. Stopping by the Tabling Hub when Cusp of Clarity is there is encouraged. After all, that’s how I first became aware of the group. It only takes one conversation, five minutes of your time, to make a difference.

If you’re interested in Cusp of Clarity and wish to stay updated on their success and events you can follow their Instagram, TikTok, or visit their website, where you’ll be greeted by the most adorable video of young Aidann Gia inspiring change. There are plenty of local events being held within an hour of Pace University at which you can donate to the cause, further discuss global issues, and join a strong community of passionate individuals.  

Sierra is a freshmen, Digital Marketing major and a Graphic Design minor at Pace University. She is a first year staff writer for Her Campus at Pace and enjoys writing more humorous pieces about pop culture. In the past, Sierra has written for her high school newsletter known as "The Dawg Print" and taken several journalism classes and she is looking forward to expanding on this background. In addition to Her Campus at Pace, Sierra is also a new member of the American Marketing Association at Pace and the P.A.C.E. Board. She enjoys brainstorming for both these clubs and especially likes that they expose her to people of all backgrounds and stories. Outside of school and work Sierra spends most of her time listening to music, watching romantic comedies, binging sit-coms, shopping for clothes she probably doesn’t need, going to museums, or exploring new places to eat. She likes a variety of different musical artists and will never turn down the opportunity to go to a concert. Sierra frequently watches the movies A Rainy Day in New York and Breakfast at Tiffany’s but is no stranger to shows such as The Office and New Girl. Sierra is also interested in museum hopping however her favorite exhibits remain at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.