Life > Experiences

Community Service Opportunities In & Around New York

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

It’s time to go volunteer outside. We are now community members of the city of New York, not just Pace University students. Students who participate in community service learn more about responsibility and social awareness. College volunteering contributes to the development of new friendships – and the strengthening of existing ones – by enlisting people in a project or activity. ​​A community’s unpaid volunteers are frequently its glue. By volunteering, you may improve your community and establish a stronger connection with it. A tiny act of kindness can have a significant impact on the lives of individuals, animals, and charitable organizations who are in need. Here are five ways to give back to the community.

The Association to Benefit Children

Based in the Upper East Side, ABC has a long history of fighting for the rights of underprivileged children and speaking out on their behalf, transforming the lives of kids all throughout the country. Volunteer opportunities range from garden planting and upkeep, providing children with homework help, and planning volunteer events. After going over the details and deciding which program or programs you would want to volunteer for, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the volunteer site organizer for ABC.

Housing Works

Housing Works has been giving homeless and HIV/AIDS-affected New Yorkers life-saving services for more than 25 years. Since 1990, Housing Works has offered a wide range of services to over 30,000 homeless and low-income New Yorkers who are living with or afflicted by HIV/AIDS. These services include housing, mental and physical healthcare, job training, legal counseling, and advocacy. Housing Works runs several entrepreneurial businesses, including 10 thrift stores, a bookstore cafe, and other significant fundraising events to assist in supporting these initiatives. If you find interest in working in either of these services, fill out the application found on their website.

Holy Apostle Soup Kitchen

At Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen, hundreds of homeless and hungry New Yorkers are fed a hot, wholesome meal every weekday at 10:30 a.m. Holy Apostles volunteers play a vital role in helping our underprivileged neighbors in New York City fight hunger. Volunteers can help with anything from hot meal service to lunch packing, pantry bag distribution to haircut voucher distribution. For more information on their volunteer services, hours, and location, visit their website.

National Urban League

Regardless of race, gender, or zip code, the National Urban League has worked to guarantee that every American has the chance to pursue the American dream. By supporting the National Urban League as a partner, you can support African Americans via voting rights, equitable housing, healthcare access, education, employment solutions, and justice policies and programs. For inquiries, you can contact the office of Dennis Serrette.

New York Cares

Join the largest volunteer network in New York City, offering hundreds of opportunities to change lives every month. You have a choice when you volunteer. You may spend a Saturday morning volunteering, weeding, or waltzing with elderly people. There are countless opportunities. To find more information on the specific programs offered, along with how to register for said programs, check out their online platform.

Sheila Rafizadeh participates actively in Pace University's Her Campus. She is currently a junior majoring in criminal justice with a minor in pre-law. Sheila works as a staff writer for the Pace Press, the campus newspaper, in addition to Her Campus. For the academic year 2023–2024, she also serves on the university's social justice committee. Outside of school she is also a part-time volunteer at her local animal shelter that she’s been working at since high school. Sheila’s also an active member of the University’s Muslim Student Association as well as the Criminal Justice Society, and is on the Pre-Law track. Some of Sheila’s interests include reading, listening to music, and playing the guitar. She’s been playing piano, bass, and violin since she was a child and is very eager to write album reviews and music related articles for Her Campus. In the future she hopes to go to law school on her path to becoming a family lawyer