This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

When presented with the opportunity to attend an advanced screening of the new film Argylle, directed by Matthew Vaughn, I didn’t hesitate to pounce. I first heard about the upcoming film through a TikTok listing upcoming films of 2024. I’m also on what is often referred to as “Swiftie-Tok,” and one fateful night, I came across an influx of videos in which several Taylor Swift fans were theorizing that she was behind the creation of Argylle, a spy novel that serves as a companion piece for the new movie. While for a moment I believed that these rumors could have absolutely been true, given Swift’s tendency to hint at her latest projects in very clever ways, unfortunately, upon further investigation, the rumors were just that: rumors. Nonetheless, this film piqued my interest upon its announcement. From its star-studded cast featuring Bryce Dallas Howard, Henry Cavill, Catherine O’Hara, and Samuel L. Jackson, to its classic action movie characteristics, I was intrigued. Any movie in which Dua Lipa and Sam Rockwell are acting side by side is a movie that I need to see. 

After a quick subway ride and a two minute walk to the Regal Union Square, my friends and I anxiously waited in the long line to see the film.  I must say that aside from the cast information, I went into the film with very little context. I had assumed from advertisements that it was just another predictable spy movie, but I was in for so much more than that, and I can honestly say that the 40 minute wait in the cold was absolutely worth it. 

Upon entering the theater, we were greeted with giveaways and an audience decked out in their best spy attire, so we got cozy and prepared ourselves for the film. I knew within the first few minutes of the movie that I was going to enjoy it. I’ve always been a sucker for both action and comedy, which this film tackled perfectly, not to mention the romance that unraveled throughout the movie. 

What distinguished Argylle from other films of its genre was its constant twists and turns. Sure, every spy movie will contain a curveball, but Argylle elevated this concept to a new level. Just when I believed the movie was reaching a conclusion, or I was certain of something transpiring, I was thrown for a loop. With every plot twist, the audience roared with confusion and wonder. As the twists continued to strike us, I only grew more and more enraptured, and every few minutes, I found myself turning to my friends with an expression of great shock on my face. 

The plot of Argylle is masterful, and I give credit to the screenwriter Jason Fuchs for each meticulous detail. Attention to detail is what makes action movies so intense and entertaining. However, it should be noted that the film is laced with a specific category of humor which I can understand may not be for everyone. There are some parts of the movie that I can only describe as cringey and or even hard to watch, but I think that in really diving into those scenes, Vaughn embraces the cheesiness, and that’s what I found humorous. Overall, this movie definitely satisfied my action, comedy, and romance movie craving, and standing in the ice cold wind for 40 minutes was not too bad in retrospect, so I say, cheers to the new year and all the wonderful films it will bring. 

Sierra is a freshmen, Digital Marketing major and a Graphic Design minor at Pace University. She is a first year staff writer for Her Campus at Pace and enjoys writing more humorous pieces about pop culture. In the past, Sierra has written for her high school newsletter known as "The Dawg Print" and taken several journalism classes and she is looking forward to expanding on this background. In addition to Her Campus at Pace, Sierra is also a new member of the American Marketing Association at Pace and the P.A.C.E. Board. She enjoys brainstorming for both these clubs and especially likes that they expose her to people of all backgrounds and stories. Outside of school and work Sierra spends most of her time listening to music, watching romantic comedies, binging sit-coms, shopping for clothes she probably doesn’t need, going to museums, or exploring new places to eat. She likes a variety of different musical artists and will never turn down the opportunity to go to a concert. Sierra frequently watches the movies A Rainy Day in New York and Breakfast at Tiffany’s but is no stranger to shows such as The Office and New Girl. Sierra is also interested in museum hopping however her favorite exhibits remain at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.