Pink cartoon graphic of women
Pink cartoon graphic of women
Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier

Apps That Will Help Keep You Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

While the NYPD has reported a fall in shootings and murders across the city, newly released crime statistics show a continued surge in violent crimes such as felony assaults. 

The crime rate in the city was reported to be up by 11.2%, with many catcalls resulting in assaults. Living in a big city like New York City comes with many dangers for young women daily and can often contribute to feelings of anxiety, depression, and fear.

With reports and viral videos of catcalling, stalking, and physical assaults being reported daily, organizations such as NYC Commission on Human Rights are striving to ensure that women live free from harassment while enjoying “accommodations like restaurants and public transportation in New York City”. 

The experience and fear of being catcalled, stalked, and even physically assaulted whilst walking home, to meet friends, or even in some cases to class is daunting, here are some apps designed to help you stay safe.

1. MY SAFETIPIN

This app not only provides you with nearby safe places based on your GPS location tracking, but it also provides “safety scores” on pinned locations. That way users know before arrival if the area is deemed safe or unsafe for women. The app also allows users to mark an area as being safe or unsafe, which is great for helping others stay safe within the community.

Download Link for Android & iOS

1. Women Safety 

Not only does this app send instant messages to your emergency contacts, but it also sends emails with your location alongside a google map link to your pre-configured email IDs. The tech-savvy app will also take pictures from your camera with a video. This easy-to-use app comes with color-coordinated buttons (green for a status update, orange for staying cautious, and red for danger).

Download Link for Android

1. BSAFE

A free app that will create a network of your “keepers” who will know your location all the time. This is a great way for close family to know you are safe on a night out. 

These are a few helpful apps to help you stay safe and be aware of your surroundings.

Hi, my name is Melissa and I am studying Communications at Pace. I enjoy designing, writing, and travelling the world :-)