This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Professors and institutions are failing students across the nation throughout this unprecedented and difficult period of time. 

The debate over the implications of having students out of the classroom for so long is already discussed thoroughly in the media, now dividing the country with simultaneous conversations of vaccine mandates and curriculum requirements. But commonly, the people who this is directly affecting are overlooked and ignored when it comes to their opinion. 

As a student who navigated high school pre-pandemic and university before and throughout, there are large cultural shifts that have happened. Unfortunately, because of this, teachers, administrators, and professors simply trying to continue to use the same tactics that were used pre-pandemic are no longer successful in the same ways they might have been before. 

I understand completely that everyone, including professionals, are just trying their best. No one knows exactly what’s correct or right. However, I fear for the students forced to navigate current school systems and what their future holds for them. 

What teachers could be doing to aid students in better learning:

Group Projects

What I personally notice about the pandemic is that group projects have been done away with. While this was probably because we thought they were harder to navigate on an online form, it has greatly transformed my college experience. When I was in community college pre-pandemic, I had two to three group projects per class per semester. During the pandemic, I can think of only a handful of my courses that have required a group project.

While group projects are not everyone’s favorite learning setting, they teach valuable communication and partnership skills. The student learns how to navigate people with different strengths to themselves and communicate what they can bring to a table. It also allows friendships and familiarity to be fostered in a classroom. I’ve truly felt disconnected from my classes without group projects.

Getting Outside the Classroom 

After two years of being conditioned to stay in one place because of the pandemic, encouraging your students to get outside and form relationships in a setting other than their desks is very important. As a teacher, you can contribute a lot to a person’s experience when it comes to their educational career–encourage a connection with nature! Even if going outside is not fitting to your lesson plan, note that it is important for students to be active at some point. Attention spans have been shortened due to the pandemic, and many students will find it difficult to sit still completely through a lesson like they maybe could have before. Breaks are encouraged, and games like Kahoot can be refreshing and low anxiety for students!

We Haven’t Learned

Even if you debate that students have never not been in school throughout the pandemic, it’s the reality when students admit that they haven’t learned since. Every student in the world was immediately taken out of their every day setting of going to school because of a global pandemic. Then, kids and adults alike of all ages were forced to navigate all completely new systems and ways of learning. It worked for some, but for many, with this shift to online tools and without in-person aspects, success was unachievable.

Students should want to learn, and as a professor you should drive a passion to seek and educate yourself as an individual into your students. If you find your students are dreading coming to your class or finding you boring, rethink the way that you are going about teaching your messages. Your students deserve to learn, even if you’re uncomfortable teaching in a way that they can understand and be successful. 

Sincerely, 

Students 

Gillian is currently a senior at Pace University on the NYC Campus. She is originally from Baltimore, Maryland where she earned her AA degree at the Community College of Baltimore County. She is majoring in communications at Pace and loves writing as a hobby. Her favorite day of the week is Sunday and her favorite color is forest green. She also reminds you to recycle! She can be found on all social medias @jillrh02