Album Review: ‘My 21st Century Blues’ by RAYE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Have you heard of the artist RAYE? You may have listened to her song “Escapism.” ft. 070 Shake, go viral on Tik Tok. This was the first time I heard of the London-based artist. On Feb. 3, 2023, she dropped her newest album My 21st Century Blues. A vulnerable album opening up about love and heartbreak, recalling her past relationships, and sharing personal stories. This album discusses topics that may be difficult for some to read about. Please read this article with caution, and if you intend to listen to the album, please listen with caution.

After my first listen, only a few songs stood out. However, the more I listened to each song, the more I began to love the album. RAYE has done a spectacular job blending genres such as R&B, House, Pop, Dance/Electronic, and Trip Hop. Instrumentally, the album is a refreshing listen and introduced me to genres that I had once overlooked. In addition, what draws me back to this album is the lyrical content. RAYE is completely vulnerable with the listener and decides to open up about specific topics that are not easy to talk about. Some of these issues include addiction, substance abuse, mental health, and consent. While some of these topics were rather hard to listen to, it was impressive to hear RAYE open up about them and share her own stories. That’s why I believe this album is meant to be listened to in order. It truly helps the listener understand the story that RAYE is trying to tell. 

Throughout the album, not only is RAYE trying to navigate through heartbreak, she is recalling all of the challenges that she has been through in her life. On the first track, “Oscar Winning Tears.,” RAYE states that details of the “many men” are irrelevant, shifting the listeners’ focus to RAYE’s stories. During this track, she confronts her manipulative ex, encouraging him to cry because it won’t affect her decision on leaving the toxic relationship. On the contrary, RAYE also expresses how sometimes she would want to stay with her ex, even if he makes her feel awful. She is acknowledging that toxic relationships are rather hard to leave, and not as simple as they seem. As the listener begins to dive deeper into the album, she admits to turning to substances instead of confronting her emotions. The songs “Escapism.” ft. 070 Shake and “Hard Out Here.” perfectly capture her feelings, allowing the listener to understand that the use of substances would subdue her emotions. Lastly, in “Mary Jane.,” she sings about how drugs have been more dependable than any man she has been with. Yet, as the album continues, RAYE begins to talk less about substances and shift the topic of conversation. She begins to look within herself and explore her past relationships. Bravely, she opens up about consent and confesses she did not understand what consent meant until she was an adult. She also opens up about her own mental struggles and how they have caused her to close off instead of reaching out. We often see social media glorify celebrities, placing them on a pedestal and burying them in unrealistic expectations. RAYE’s music helps remind us that she is also human and, like everyone else, she struggles, too. Her music lets us know that we are not alone and we can always reach out to someone.

Nevertheless, toward the album’s end, we begin to see a shift in thought. RAYE expresses how she is ready to put herself out there and start exploring relationships again. However, she is taking the lessons she has learned with her. In the final song, “Buss It Down.,” she acknowledges everything she has experienced; the good and the bad. However, she is ready to find the love that she truly deserves. RAYE also recognizes that she isn’t alone and that she has her friends to support her. 

My 21st Century Blues is a vulnerable album that may take time to listen to. RAYE is fully expressing herself through her music, allowing her experiences to become a message that others can relate to and understand. I think that the most vulnerable song on the album would be “Ice Cream Man.,” but it may be difficult for some to listen to. As for my favorite track, I would say “Oscar Winning Tears.” or “Escapism.” ft. 070 Shake. Overall, this album has grown on me. It is a beautiful piece of work and deserves to be heard. My 21st Century Blues is available on Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and other streaming platforms.

PK Kennedy is an active member within Her Campus at Pace. They are a social media assistant and help oversee Her Campus at Pace’s Pinterest account and write weekly articles focusing on, but not limited to, local events, music, and film/television pieces. Outside of Her Campus, PK is a senior at Pace University (NYC) and is majoring in Communications and Media Studies with a double minor in Digital Marketing and Arts and Entertainment Management. Recently, PK has been delving into multiple social media and design platforms to further their knowledge about digital marketing. During this school year, and beyond graduation, they hope to continue to learn more about photoshop and video editing software. Beyond school, PK enjoys listening and discovering new music, enjoying a cup of coffee and a sweet treat, having hour-long conversations about Star Wars and/or Marvel. If not doing any of the items listed above, PK is most definitely “rotting” in bed and gaining more knowledge about astrology and rewatching their favorite movie/TV shows again.