This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

As Hamilton says, New York City is “the greatest city in the world.” While New Yorkers have their struggles with it (shoutout to subway rats and train delays) at the end of the day we all love our city, so it’s no surprise that New York is a big part of pop culture. Whether you’re about to move to NYC, already live there, or hoping to visit someday, here’s the top TV shows set in the Big Apple.

The Bold Type

Strong women, “woke” moments, fashion inspo, comedy, and drama- what more could you want in a TV show? Freeform’s “The Bold Type” follows three women working at a women’s magazine as they navigate the worlds of romance, business, and friendship. It deals with real-world issues- like the travel ban, slut-shaming, and internet trolling- with ease and in a realistic way. 

Gossip Girl

Of course, no NYC TV show list could be complete without this soapy teen drama. The caption inspiration for almost every photo taken on the Met steps, this show centers on the lives of very rich and very beautiful teenagers on the Upper East Side. Plenty of notable NYC settings (i.e. the aforementioned Met) are visible throughout the series and can make a great self-guided tour to say “Hey! That’s where Jenny and her posse dumped yogurt on Blair!” Grab your headband and flip phone and put aside a weekend or two for this one- the scandal and cliffhangers make it the perfect binge-watch.

Younger

In this lesser-known (but no less addictive) series, 40-year-old Liza passes herself as 26 in order to re-enter the working world as an assistant at a publishing firm. Obviously, this is no easy task and as she attempts to blend in with the millennials aren’t always successful. College students will be able to relate to the younger characters trying to make it in the city; “I feel like an imposter, I have no idea what I’m doing,” says Kelsey, Liza’s friend from work, to which Liza replies “Nobody knows what they’re doing- you just fake it till you make it.” If you’re a Pace student, you may recognize Battery Park’s Seaglass Carousel in a later episode. “Younger” stars both Sutton Foster and Hillary Duff- need I say more?

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

In a break from the dramedy category, I give you what is currently one of TV’s best sitcoms; “Brooklyn Nine-Nine.” This NBC show sees the daily lives of a team of detectives at Brooklyn’s 99th Precinct, all of whom have drastically different personalities and are overseen by an overly stern and serious captain. Every character is hilarious, but assistant Gina Linetti (played by Chelsea Peretti) is a standout and has some of the best one-liners you’ve ever heard. Press play on this critically acclaimed series if you’re looking for some uplifting comedic gold.

The Carrie Diaries

Last but not least is this lesser-known “Sex and the City” prequel. Set in the 80s, Carrie Bradshaw (portrayed by AnnaSophia Robb) lands an internship at a law firm in the city. She later befriends a style editor at Interview magazine and falls head over heels for city life. As she is drawn to the world of fashion, Carrie struggles to balance high school life with her new professional life. 

Hi! I'm an editorial intern at Her Campus and Senior Editor at HC Pace! I can recite Gilmore Girls lines from memory and you can find me wherever books, dogs, or concerts are.