3 Ways You Know You Belong In NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

After having lived in one of the greatest cities in the world for a few months, I have come to realize that it takes a certain kind of person to want to live in New York City. Growing up in a place that was nothing like New York City, I now know that you don’t have to originally be from a big city to actually belong in one. That being said, I have learned that there are definitely different ways to know you actually belong there.

1. You like to feel immersed in the hustle and bustle

There are some people who definitely prefer a quiet and more slow-paced setting, whether they are residing there or just visiting for the weekend. But, if you are anything like me, you like to be a part of the fast-paced culture that this city possesses. You like to feel as if you are a part of the city, where everyone is on a mission and chasing their own dreams. You, yourself are after something as well. There is nothing more motivating than pursuing your dreams with everyone around you doing the same. There is truly nothing like it; nothing else can beat it.

2. You thrive on the energy

There are millions of people in this city, all of whom are unique in their own way and have a story of their own, making this city one of the most exciting places on earth. (Who wouldn’t want to be a part of that?) Whether you love the people, culture, a variety of neighborhoods, fashion, nightlife, or the arts, this city is meant for you. The inspiration you can find here cannot be compared to that of any other city, and you know it. You know you belong in this city because when you go to any other, it doesn’t feel right, and all you want to do is go back to the city that holds a special place in your heart.

3. You crave the endless number of opportunities that are offered

If you wish to experience and encounter everything New York City has to offer, you know where to go. There is an abundance of opportunities, especially if you go to school here. You will be exposed to an immense amount of internships that nowhere else in the world can offer you. These can then expose you to incredible career opportunities or passions you didn’t know you had, prior to living there. Additionally, the networking and connections you can find are exactly what you need to assist in pursuing your goals.

Stepping foot in New York City is like entering a whole new world that is unlike any other. You know you belong here when everything around you excites you, and you love everything about it. You know you belong here when you have that drive and passion that pushes you towards something you want; you know that that drive comes from the city itself!

Having just transferred to Pace University, I am beyond grateful and excited to finally be living in New York City pursuing not only a Communication Studies major and a double minor in Digital Media Studies and Journalism, but also my life long dream of working for the media. I have a huge appreciation for music as well as photography, and wish to see as much of the world as humanly possible! I cannot wait to see what this life has to offer me.