Why Disney Plus is the Best Thing to Happen to Streaming This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

At this point in the 21st century, nearly every person you meet either has a streaming service, or watches using a friend or family members account. There are so many options to choose from when streaming, from Hulu to Netflix to HBO Now, but each of them offers something different, and these offerings change every month without fail. This can lead to many people getting multiple services in order to watch everything that they want. Paying for all these different services can become very expensive, however, Disney + might just be the solution to this problem, for a good majority of people.

On November 12th 2019, Disney finally released the streaming service it had been teasing for at least a year, to much excitement. This streaming service houses nearly every TV show, movie, and special from Disney, Pixar, and National Geographic, along with many other movie series and shows that Disney owns. This allows for a lot of people to consolidate their streaming services. The most exciting part about Disney +, in my opinion, is all the different shows and movies that I can finally watch, especially those that I haven’t seen in years. So, I decided to compile a list of a few shows and movies that I’m most excited about, both new and nostalgic.

1. The Sandlot

This movie was a huge staple in my childhood. Anyone who watched this movie as a kid is lying to themselves if they say their first childhood crush was not Benny “the Jet” Rodriguez. I’m genuinely just excited for the sense of nostalgia this movie brings.

1. The Sound of Music

Similarly, the Sound of Music was another staple of my childhood. However, this movie was one of the main movies that got me into musical theater. Though I have not watched the movie in a good 5 years, I could still definitely recite each word to this movie, and now that I can watch it whenever I want, I’m excited to try out that theory

1. Sister Act

I was really surprised when I found out that this movie (and its sequel!) were on Disney +, though I am definitely not disappointed. This movie is one of Whoopi Goldberg’s best comedies that before this, I could only watch on the old VHS tape that was in our basement, until today!

1. Halloweentown

After years of giving the excuse to my friends that I had never watched Halloweentown because I did not start watching Disney Channel until Halloweentown (and it’s sequels) were all out, my friends can finally make me watch this movie. Somehow, every year I manage to miss the Disney channel Halloween specials, but thanks to Disney +, now I can actually watch all of the Halloween movies that both the internet and all my friends rave about.

1. 10 Things I Hate About You

I discovered this movie on Netflix about three years ago, and absolutely fell in love with it. It is a modern day retelling of Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew with young Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles acting as two of the main characters. With a ton of witty lines and comedy, musical performances (just by Heath Ledger), and a pretty good love story, this is a rom-com that I actually enjoy and could watch over and over again. And I’m excited that I can again!

1. High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

When I first heard about this series, I was really scared that Disney was going to ruin the High School Musical movie series that was one of the most incredible parts of most 90s kids childhoods. However, after giving this show a chance, I realized that it is not redoing High School Musical at all, but it is taking the movie and changing it just enough for the new generations to enjoy it, and for older teens and adults to enjoy the nostalgia it offers. It even pays homage to the old music through great covers along with incredible new music created just for the show. There are only three episodes out at this point, but I will say that I am not disappointed in the slightest.

1. ALMOST the entire MCU

This is probably the thing that I was most excited for when I originally heard about Disney +. While not every Marvel movie is on Disney + yet, due to contractual obligations, it does house the majority of this blockbuster franchise. For fans who struggle to rewatch the movies in order, or at all, Disney + now offers the opportunity to binge watch the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe in one shot. Or you can always just watch the battle scene in Avengers: Endgame over and over again. Either way, the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe being on one single streaming service is one of the best parts of Disney +.

Emma Legacki

Pace Pleasantville '22

Freshman biochemistry major who loves watching Netflix,hanging out with her friends, and discovering new music. Closet nerd, passionate activist, and food lover.