When TV Emulates Your Life: Jane the Virgin Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

For the longest time, I’ve looked for a good representation of myself on TV. It wasn’t until quite recently that I found a perfect fit.

After hearing praise about the CW’s Jane the Virgin, and being told by a few people that I remind them of the main character Jane, I finally decided to give it a try.

For those of you that haven’t watched Jane the Virgin (you totally should!) here’s a quick synopsis: Jane Gloriana Villanueva led a simple and happy life. At 25, Jane was studying to be a teacher all while working on a romance novel during her free time. She starts off the show with a boyfriend she loves and is living happily with her mother and grandmother. They have instilled strong religious values in Jane. One major one: to remain a virgin until marriage.

Jane’s life was strategically planned up until the moment she went to a simple check-up at the gynecologist. After an absurd mistake made by her doctor, Jane was artificially inseminated, pregnant and confused. As a pregnant virgin, her life is turned upside down.

Jane’s life became more complicated after finding out the sperm donor is her boss and a former fling.  Jane’s life quickly starts to follow the formula of any good telenovela, filled with drama, romance, suspense, comedy and thrills all at once.

I know what you’re probably thinking: “How the heck does this girl’s life relate to this show?”

While my life isn’t as dramatic as Jane’s and I have yet to be accidentally artificially inseminated, I started to realize the little things that make Jane feel so relatable:

1. She’s a Latina.

It’s so hard to find a Latina on TV that I can relate to, as Latinas are usually portrayed as feisty and sexy women with thick accents. They are often fetishized and used as tools for mispronunciation jokes. In Jane the Virgin, Jane is represented as a whole person and not just defined by her Latina identity; she is smart, strong, funny, opinionated and caring for all of those around her. These are all attributes I can relate to and admire in Jane. Even though she is Venezuelan and I am Puerto Rican, it’s so inspiring so see an amazing Latina role model on-screen.

2. She’s a writer – one who writes romance novels at that.

Throughout the series, viewers see Jane attempt to write her novel, as it is her dream to have her work published. Viewers see Jane struggle with editing her work and writer’s block. When she finally does get her groove back, her romantic endeavors ultimately end up influencing the book she publishes. By season four viewers get to watch her success as a published author. While I am no romance novelist, I am a poet and a poet that only writes love poems. I struggle with writer’s block all the time but that doesn’t deter me from my goal to eventually get my work published.

3. Her mom is her best friend.

Like me and my mom, Jane and her mother are extremely close. They tell each other everything and are each other’s best friend. The most relatable thing about their relationship? All the unwanted but always necessary advice given to each other. They would do anything for one another. My mom and I are the same way.

4. She speaks Spanglish to her abuela.

This is something that is so common for Puerto Ricans like myself. Throughout my life, my grandmother Carmen has only communicated with me in Spanish. While I’ve attempted to communicate back with her in Spanish, I always end up speaking in English. For us, speaking each other’s first language is nerve-wracking. Ever since I can remember, we have communicated with each other through the happy medium that is Spanglish. I thought we were the only ones that did that. Throughout the series, that’s exactly how Jane communicates with her grandmother and seeing that on my screen made Jane so much more relatable. Like me and my grandmother, Jane and her abuela prove that unconditional love sees no language barriers.

5. Growing up in a Catholic household, saving yourself until marriage was made a big deal all of her life.

My family always emphasized saving myself until marriage and how I would regret it if I didn’t wait. So, I could always relate to Jane’s fear of breaking the vow of celibacy.

… and lastly

6. Her favorite food is grilled cheese.

This is a tiny similarity, but it’s the one that made me realize she was my TV soulmate.

While I’m sure I’m not the only girl who feels so similar to Jane’s character, it’s so cool to finally be able to see a version of myself on TV. Once people like me start to see themselves represented through media, they start to feel like their stories matter too. This small representation leaves me hopeful for what to expect in TV shows in the future. 

Natalie Hernandez

Pace Pleasantville

Natalie Hernandez is a student at Pace University, majoring in digital journalism with a political science and creative writing minor. On campus, she works with the sexual assault prevention office as a confidential resource and peer educator. She is involved in multiple organizations on campus including: Pride at Pace the LGBTQA club, POWER a women’s empowerment group, and Power of Our Words the poetry club which she is the Vice President of. Shes a major a theater geek or as others like to call her – drama queen, poet, concert enthusiast and Netflix addict. Lastly, shes a feminist who’s always ready to talk about current events and pop culture!