Culture > News

Taylor Swift Finds Her Inner Activist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

In the past Taylor Swift has remained silent about her political views, but on October 7th, she became extremely vocal. She posted a detailed Instagram highlighting her decision to vote Democrat in the upcoming midterm elections, and it sparked something amazing. According to Kamari Guthrie, director of communications for Vote.org, noted that registration spiked nationally, and in Tennessee, Swift’s hometown. “We are up to 65,000 registrations in a single 24-hour period since T. Swift’s post,” Guthrie said. 

Swift didn’t stop there either, since her initial post, she has posted multiple times on her Instagram story and page about the importance of voting, no matter the party. In the past week she has been using her platform to repost fan’s photos of them voting or sending in their absentee ballots, encouraging fans to post with the hashtag #justvoted, so she could see the posts! 

I’ve been a Taylor Swift fan since the very beginning, and I’m honestly so proud of her for using her social media for good. She has over 112 million followers on instagram alone, so it’s the perfect platform to help spread awareness of the importance of voting. It was extremely risky for her to post about her political views, and I understand why she waited so long to do so. Not all responses to her post were positive, but that is suspected whenever someone makes a public stance. During her time promoting her latest album “Reputation” Swift noted that she is doing what she wants, and is not looking back. She is a big enough star that she can afford to take stances and make change, and that’s exactly what she’s doing, and I’m proud to call myself a fan. 

No matter who you go out and vote for during the midterm elections, make sure your voice is heard. We are given the amazing opportunity to make change in our country, so please take advantage of that! 

Emily serves as Associate of Campus Community & Marketing here at Her Campus. She graduated from Pace University in 2020 with a degree in Communications. Emily served as a Campus Correspondent at Pace University, was a former intern for Her Campus' InfluenceHer Collective and was a part of Campus Trendsetters. In her spare time you can find her crafting, going to art museums and listening to Taylor Swift.