This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Living on campus with other people can be fun and games until you do not get along anymore. Believe it or not, there are quite a few people who do not get along with their roommates. Friendships are growing apart and communication is lost. No one wants to be surrounded by bad energy. Here are a few ways to deal with roommates who you do not get along with. 

It’s okay..

Do not ever feel like you need to force a friendship, especially with people who are affecting you negatively. Ending a friendship with a few people is not going to hurt. You have plenty of friends who are going to be there for you. Whether it is friends you just met or friends you have known for years, everything will be okay. 

2. Negative Energy has to Go

Separate yourself from negative energy. You do not want to be around people who are immature and act out of pettiness. Do not let the little things bother you. Once you feel the negative energy coming your way, go.

Girl Time 

Spending time with other friends is a great escape. Your friends are supposed to be people who are there for you, you have fun with, and you enjoy being with. Find friends who you have a great amount in common with. Do something you all enjoy. Go out, watch a movie, play games, listen to music, etc.

Distract Yourself 

There are so many things to do when you are by yourself and your friends are not around. You can always get a jump start on that homework assignment that is due next week. Turn on the television and watch your favorite show, listen to music, or have your own little dance party. 

Ignore 

I would say that ignoring your roommates is going to help in the long-run. Act like they are not there. Do the same thing you would do as if they were not in the room. You have no reason to speak to them. 

Always think positively. Who cares if a few friendships are broken? Keep moving on and focusing on the important things in life. There are other people who will come into your life and not bring negativity. Do your own thing! 

Jada Desir

Pace Pleasantville '22

Jada is a Junior majoring in Criminal Justice and minoring in sociology and anthropology at Pace University Pleasantville. She is from Brooklyn, NY. In her free time, Jada loves to listen to music and dance. This year, her goal is to get involved more on campus and meet new faces.