andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

There is no way to sugar coat this, breakups suck. Relationships are hard, everything gets messy, and losing someone you love is rough, but you will survive. I vividly remember sixth grade, when I had my first breakup. My little sixth grade heart was broken, and I thought the world was going to end. I remember my mom telling me this was the first of many, and I was going to be okay. Obviously I knew that she had more experience with all of that, but I didn’t know when I would be okay. Well, she was right, I got over it, in a few days actually.

Well, not everything is as small as a sixth grade broken heart. We grow up, develop an insane amount of feelings for someone, things end and sometimes they end really messy. Breakups are awful, but there are ways to move on and be ok, and actually grow from it. I have a very strong belief that everything happens for a reason, and that people are supposed to come in and out of your life to teach you a lesson. With that mindset, I have always been able to notice how I have grown from all of my past relationships. I question what my exes taught me, and how am they made me stronger. It is important to realize that people who exit your life didn’t waste your time, they were there for a reason, and made you a better you.

Having a mindset like that, allows you to have a more positive outlook on life, and even a friendship with an ex, all in good time of course. After having the positive mindset, you are going to have to give yourself time to heal. The heartbreak doesn’t heal overnight, and everyone takes their own time, but in time, you will heal. Time is important! Things might not be better in a day, or week, or even month. But, little by little, you will feel better, and the pain you once felt towards another, wont be as bad as it once was. Give yourself time to heal, remember that you didn’t lost half of yourself during that breakup , you are a whole and it is important to love yourself as a whole again.

Allow yourself to be sad, feel all the emotions, because this helps you cherish the sweet little moments a little bit more. It is important to realize what made you sad, and how you are going to move on from that situation. Learning what didn’t work is so important. Remember what didn’t work, and how you want to fix it. All good things must come to an end, and not everything lasts forever. But, everything in life is a lesson, find your lesson and give yourself time to love yourself, and I promise, you will survive.

Nicole Cancel

Pace Pleasantville '21

Nicole is a sophomore Public Relations major, and minoring in Fashion Marketing at Pace University. In her spare time she enjoys binge watching shows on Netflix, attending concerts, and napping in between every class.