Raihana Jacqueline Haynes-Venerable ‘17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Hometown: Chandler, Arizona

Age: 20

Relationship Status: Oh my God, I’m so single. (Hysterical laughter)

Major: CTSJ

Minor: Interdisciplinary Writing

Okay, so tell us about your ideal first date.

Wow, okay. I know so many people hate sushi on a first date – but I love that idea. I think you can really get to know somebody by the way they eat sushi. If they can’t use chopsticks we’re not on the same level.

What are you turn ons, Rai?

Oh my god. This is such an intimate conversation. In the Green Bean. My place of business. I need to think about this for a minute. I don’t want to be too explicit.

I reallly like big arms. LIke, nice muscular toned arms. Not too big, but nice, you know? Funny. Gotta be funny. And smart. Really smart. And not racist, not sexist.

What are your turn offs?

Racism, sexism, just a bigot. That would just turn me off right there. Bad teeth. I mean, my dad’s a dentist. Anyone with bad teeth…just, sorry.

What is one word that describes you?

Pizazz.

(Disagreement over whether or not this is a valid word.)

Scratch that. Let’s redo that. I just like that word.

You can’t…be pizazz, Rai. It’s not an adjective. You can have pizazz but you can’t be it.

I can’t describe myself in one word. I’m more than one thing. I’m multifaceted.

Tell us about your on campus involvement a little bit!Well, I’m currently working on a piece that might be published with one of my professors in the writing department. I work at the Green Bean. I was an O-Team Leader. I have a club on campus, I’m the discussion director of Beauty Beyond Color. I’m involved in Dance Production!

Tells us more about Beauty Beyond Color!

Beauty Beyond Color meets every other Friday at 5pm in Rangeview 242. Friday the 6th is our next big event, we’re having a slumber party in that room, so come on in your PJs. Gonna watch some movies, have some snacks and stuff.

Okay, random, but what’s your favorite color?

Blue. Always has been.

Wow. You said that very confidently.

I know.

What is one thing you want people to know about you before meeting you?

I want them to know that I’m loud as hell and I can be very aggressive. Not necessarily aggressive, but very…I don’t hold back. I don’t know how to phrase this, but it’s good for people to be aware that I’m very in your face. I’m a hugger. Tell people I’m a hugger. I’m not going to shake your hand – I’ll hug you. 

Sarah is a senior history major at Oxy - she likes cats, naps, pizza, and wine.
I am an aspiring blogger/instagrammer/vine star from sunny Southern California. I have a passion for crafting, crocheting and Disneyland!