Nina Monet Reynoso ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity Nina Monet Reynoso! Nina is a sophomore psychology major and Tempe, Arizona native who has been working to make a difference on campus. Read on to find out more about this energetic and hard working lady!

HC: What sports/orgs/clubs have you gotten involved with during your time at Oxy?

NR: I’m a part of the Eboard for Sabor and have been working with MSI every year since I’ve been at Oxy. I feel like there are more to list because I’m always coming and going but that’s what comes to mind right now. I try to dabble in as much as possible. As my mom would say, a jack of all trades but a master of none haha.

HC: I heard you’ve been doing some awesome things through the Center for Gender Equity! Can you speak a little more about that? 

NR: So I started working at the CGE this fall and some of my responsibilities include planning programs like Feminist Faculty Series where we have professors from various departments give talks on issues they research or are interested in that revolve around feminism or issues closely related to feminism. This year I’ve really been trying to increase the reach of the CGE and get more people interested in what we do and what resources we have to offer. For example, I met with ResEd last semester to work on making gender-inclusive housing a more positive experience for everyone as well as working on having gender-inclusive bathrooms on campus. I think its so important because we spend so much time on campus which will impact our lives later on so its best if all of us can have an equitable experience and feel safe where we learn and live.

HC: What’s your favorite Oxy memory? 

NR:I think my favorite memory to date is when I went to office hours for Professor Rodriguez (who is now my advisor!!) and when I sent her a follow-up email thanking her for her time she really validated all of the work I was doing as a first year student and it really made me feel like I had found my niche and that I belonged at Oxy.

HC: Who is someone you admire and why? 

NR:I really admire my mother, which may seem really cheesy but its true. We bicker a lot because we both have very strong personalities, if anything it’s helped me improve my communication skills. But she’s made me very proud to be her daughter and she’s always rooting for me, which has been invaluable over the years.

HC: This is usually a dreaded question for most, but what plans or goals do you have for the future?  

NR: I went to the Pentagon a few times over this winter break and met a lot of people who thought I could have a future in working for the Department of Defense or the White House so I’m hoping that I can become a Senior Executive for the DOD and/or a professor. I’ve also toyed with the thought of enlisting in the Army or Navy after graduating which will probably surprise a lot of people haha.

HC: Enough with that seriousness! Here’s a weird one for fun: If the world could be made out of only one substance, what would you want it to be made of and why??

Would scratch and sniff stickers count? Probably not…well then I’d have to say sugar mostly because I’m an avid fan of the Cooking Channel and Food Network and they make some crazy stuff with sugar. Like what? Please tell me how you decided to make a working train out of sugar!