Freshman Experience 2: Dorm Room Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

It’s been a long 7 weeks but here I am!

I’m currently living in Newcomb Hall, which is one of the nicest first-year residence halls on campus. Luckily for me, it is placed in close proximity to lower campus – this means easier access and travel to athletic, classroom, and food facilities. It also came with a feature that I was thankful for during orientation week: air conditioning. Living here, I learned one of the most important lessons that any freshman encounters the first time they step into their dorm room: they’re missing a few touches that would make their room perfect. A few weeks have passed by, giving me ample time to share a list of suggestions that will help you best utilize your dorm room to it’s full potential.

1. Extra storage. In a typical triple at Oxy, three drawers and desks are supplied to students. Sometimes, this does not prove to be enough for those that hauled ‘enough’ clothes to college (like me!) or accumulated some items throughout their stay here (it’s only been 7 weeks, but bear with me). Christina Crittenden ’15 finds that storage crates with casters and stackable drawers are the answer to her problem, “I also find that I cram clothing into my drawers, because there’s no room for them anywhere else.” These can be hidden in your closet or easily slide under your bed for floor space. Lined baskets are easy to place under your bed or desk and in fact, I have a couple that I use to hold my shoes and toiletries.

2. Wall hooks. If you’re not quite looking forward to introducing any bulky storage units into your dorm room, my roommates have used Command hooks on the door and walls in order to hang up their purses or dry their towels.

3. Smart hangers. Closet space can be limited – especially between three girls – so slim black hangers (from Bed, Bath & Beyond or Costco) may be a great space efficient buy.

4. Laundry hampers. You go through your clothes fast in college, especially when it’s hot and you find yourself changing into another outfit mid-day. Please get a laundry basket/hamper!

5. Mirrors. Haley Moran ’15 noted that she found it a hassle to step into the bathroom to look herself over before the day starts. Instead, a mirror in the room can be useful. Make sure that if your college has regulations regarding placing things on the wall that a stand is included with your mirror.

6. Trashcans. Have your own personal trashcan. On every floor in the residential hall, there is a rubbish chute. However, trash may accumulate in your room from opening care packages and snacks. It is much more convenient to have a waste bin in your room.

7. Power strips. Electricity outlets are limited, and it also depends on how you and your roommate(s) organize the beds and desks. Extension cords are helpful, allowing you to draw electricity towards your way if needed.

8. Dry erase boards. To stay organized and remind yourself of your busy schedule, invest in a dry erase board. Not only will it keep you on track, but it can provide a fun way to communicate with your roommates!

9. A desk genie. A desk organizer helps you keep those pens, highlighters, pencils and scissors in place so they are not roaming about the desk.

10. Desk lamp. Everyone has a different sleep schedule. I know that I my roommates would not appreciate it if I was doing homework until 3 a.m. and still had the light in our room on. Instead, I purchased a lamp that I could keep on my desk as a small light source. You could also buy a light with a clip that you could place to the side of your bed – voila! you have another location to study.

Were these suggestions helpful for you? Is there anything else that you would include? What did you find you didn’t need once you got to school? Leave your comments below and let us know!

Image credit: Amber Thai

Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.