Dresses for All Body Types

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

If you guys could not already guess, dresses are one of my favorite things to wear and make up most of my closet. To me, it’s convenient to slip one on and layer it with different pieces such as a jacket, cardigan or scarves. However there is more to a dress than what meets the eye. Besides the color and material that is used in its construction, the style is important too. Sometimes, people think that they can’t pull of dresses, and that isn’t true! It’s just that not all dresses are designed for all body types; here are some suggestions for dresses that are flattering for certain body types.  But what’s important here is to appreciate what you got and realize that you are beautiful the way you are!

1. Athletic legs – For all the active ladies that keep in shape with walking, running, or playing sports you build definition in your legs! To show them off, choose a dress with a hem that hits a little bit above the knee such as an asymmetrical cut.
  2. Toned arms? – Come on, all those hard hours working at the gym means some serious toned muscles. Wear a sleeveless dress to put your hard work on display!
  3. For the petite lady – Lots of fabric can drown your body, so look towards a body-con dress. No need to be shy, it won’t hurt to try it out.
  4. Boyish figure – Watching the trailer for The Great Gatsby, I always admire how amazing Carey Mulligan looks in her flapper dresses. A drop-waist dress is a retro style, but can be perfect for you.
  5. Curvy – With a curvy or hourglass figure, find a wrap dress or one with a v-neck. It’s even better if the dress is flowing on the bottom and cinches you right on top so it won’t lose your shape and fits to you like a glove. Top it off with a belt for some additional detail and you’re ready to go.
  6. The top portion – If you’re busty on top, find a dress with some support that will keep you from adjusting your dress all day. If not, ruffles are there to create allusion and volume.

Also, remember that dresses can look different on the rack. So if you have time, try on different styles, colors and prints! The more the merrier, and you’ll be one step closer to finding the dress that you love. 

Photo credit: http://sweetclothesofmine.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html

Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.